Real Problems

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ChessDad

Real Problems

Post by ChessDad »

Maths in my mind is the application of sound logic in problem solving.

11+ (select questions only) should be formulated in such a way to really challenge those bright kids in pushing those boundaries, and test their limits.

after all, if you want the best people to run your country, your hospitals, your biggest buildings/bridges your schools and your businesses, you want the peace of mind that you are in the hands of those who can rise to the challenge of our ever demanding world, and address critical path issues in complex projects with minimal risks.

You relax the examination criteria of the 11+, and then you lose the freedom to nurture that potential in our kids ...

Are we going too soft and easy in our Education Approach just to meet Government Targets.

Comments?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - what is your point here?

'Real' problems are difficult to set and require complex maths - just look at the problems of functional maths in secondary schools.
ChessDad

Real Problems

Post by ChessDad »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry - what is your point here?

'Real' problems are difficult to set and require complex maths - just look at the problems of functional maths in secondary schools.
Problem setting is an art. If complex maths problems can be set in such a way to make their reasoning intuitive, then you have a starting point for a solution. Make the approach abstract, then its not so easy to follow.

Golden rule to intuition, is to ensure that the problem has an application in the real world, that someoone can relate to.

I find less and less questions each year, that demonstrate problem solving questions that can be solvable through deductive reasoning.

ie they are getting way too easy!
solimum

Post by solimum »

I find less and less questions each year
Do you mean "fewer and fewer"??

(sorry, pedant alert!)
ChessDad

Real Problems

Post by ChessDad »

solimum wrote:
I find less and less questions each year
Do you mean "fewer and fewer"??

(sorry, pedant alert!)
Yeup, Grammar was never my strongest point, but I totally appreciate the need for unambiguity.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I don't see how making the test harder or easier changes things. Only the top 20% or so are selected - so if its extremely hard then then the raw scores will be lower or if it is easier as you suggest then the raw scores will be higher eg. to pass, a candidate will have to make very few mistakes.
Please also remember that in a lot of counties the test was taken in Jan of year 6, now a lot of counties are doing at the very beginning of year 6, september, when several topics haven't even been looked at ie. algebra.
ChessDad

Algebra

Post by ChessDad »

medwaymum wrote:I don't see how making the test harder or easier changes things. Only the top 20% or so are selected - so if its extremely hard then then the raw scores will be lower or if it is easier as you suggest then the raw scores will be higher eg. to pass, a candidate will have to make very few mistakes.
Please also remember that in a lot of counties the test was taken in Jan of year 6, now a lot of counties are doing at the very beginning of year 6, september, when several topics haven't even been looked at ie. algebra.
Some schools dont even teach algebra nowadays like they used to, and will unfortunately defer the solutioning principles to secondary education.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

It is disambiguity.
ChessDad

Disambiguity

Post by ChessDad »

Sassie'sDad wrote:It is disambiguity.
Agreed :-)

BTW

Disambiguate

X=X^2

What is X?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

0 or 1 -

I'm still not sure what you are trying to say!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now