Is it worth appealing with 109 & 116 (Bucks)?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shuff

Is it worth appealing with 109 & 116 (Bucks)?

Post by Shuff »

My daughter is out of county and for various reasons we left the decision for her to take the 11+ very late, meaning she had no coaching & just had time to do the 3 official practice papers before the actual test.

With so little preparation we were not really surprised that she didn't quite make it. On ability, however, the picture is different: she's easily in the top quartile for her year at an independent selective girls' school that's ranked about 160 places above the Royal Latin in the league tables.

So assuming that her Head confirms this for the appeal, is it still worth appealing purely on academic grounds?

Many thanks for any advice.

Shuff

Post by Guest »

my first stop would be the HEAD and see if you can get support from her/him.

If she/he is willing to back your appeal then why not. What have you got to lose.. Apart from more stress..;-(

good luck
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Shuff

As Guest says, you have nothing to lose but your sanity! And yes, talk to the Head and ask for an honest opinion on your child's prospects at GS.

The lack of extra preparation is not mitgating circumstances, unfortunately. Bucks argument is that the 3 practice papers are all that is needed as preparation, despite the fact that they are fully aware that so many people coach at some level or other. Ostriches come to mind!

If you plan to come back to the forum Shuff please do register so that we can keep track of who you are - thank you!

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Hi Shuff

My daughter got through last years appeal on exactly the same score 109 and 116 so its definately worth appealing. Any questions please ask.

Caroline

Post by Guest »

Thanks, but after reflection our gut feeling is not to appeal.

Although our daughter was initially disappointed to 'fail' simply because she hates 'failing' (as she sees it), neither she nor us are so desperate to get in - she because none of her friends is going & us because we have a pretty good comp nearby & at age 13 she will have the option of going to a certain North Bucks independent school where her dad works!

Maybe I just feel that there are other parents & kids out there for whom a successful appeal is more critical...so good luck to you all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now