Reading age/Spelling age

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

A Mum

Reading age/Spelling age

Post by A Mum »

My Y5 DS has a reading age 4 years above his actual and a spelling age 4 months above. He is an avid reader which his teacher tells me is reflected in his writing, he is currently level 4B. His teacher also made a big thing of the fact that not only does he always do well in his spelling tests but uses correct spellings in his written work which is not always the case as some can learn words for a test but still have problems spelling when writing essays etc. I am slightly surprised therefor that his spelling age is not higher or could there be other reasons for this. I am not unhappy with the results just trying to make sense of the information I have been given. Any thoughts/knowledge would be appreciated.
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Maybe 4 months is a lot for extra spelling age?

LQ

(Sorry, can't be much of a help, not good at these things :roll: )
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

Thanks for the reply LuluQueen.

It could well be as you say. I was just wondering. I didn't think to ask when I was there as I find I am just trying to take it all in.
MrsK40

SPELLING/READING AGE

Post by MrsK40 »

I think this sounds like a mistake to me.. my child is also in Y5 with a higher than his real age reading age, and he is a good speller of words that he knows.... To me, it makes sense that if you are a good reader, then by osmosis (sort of) you will be a good speller also. Have your school got it wrong?... is his spelling age also 4 years ahead and they put months by mistake? I would go back for another quick meeting with the teacher to find out if the tests are correct as there seems to be a discrepancy? And if the tests are right, ask the teacher for hints on what can you do? :D
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Yes, I would go back to the school and ask for confirmation.
Well done to your son anyway!

LQ
T-4-2

Re: SPELLING/READING AGE

Post by T-4-2 »

MrsK40 wrote:I To me, it makes sense that if you are a good reader, then by osmosis (sort of) you will be a good speller also.
Actually it is very common for the reading age to be much higher than the spelling age. Just think, if you were reading two sentences containing the following:

'separate the egg whites'
'seperate the egg whites'

or

'a strange occurrence in the city'
'a strange occurence in the city'

etc, you would obviously be able to READ it, but would you be able to say which is correctly spelt, especially if you were doing it from memory in an essay.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I don't think that they use the same spelling/reading words for these tests.

All the tests are different and will give different results. My DS has same spelling and reading age on Nfer Reading Test and Blackwell Spelling test. (According to his last school report.)

edited to add - The year before, his spelling age was almost 2 years above his reading age.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You can find a number of reading and spelling tests online. These are all old tests that are now in the public domain but they should still give you an idea.

Schonell Spelling Test

Schonell Reading Test

Daniels & Diack Spelling Test

Daniels & Diack Reading Comprehension

Burt Reading Test
teacher

Post by teacher »

It doesn't follow at all that if you are a good reader then you are a good speller! It also depends on the type of reading/spelling test that is given to the child on that particular day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now