Stratford schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stratford mum

Stratford schools

Post by stratford mum »

The Stratford results for this year are very different from previous years thanks to the new-style exam., but it seems that, rsther than provide a level playing field, even less children from the Stratford primary schools semm to be gaining places at the Grammar schools. From the information I have been told from mums at various schools, less than half the Grammar school places have been given to Stratford children ( including the private schools). Where are the places going and is it fair?
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Do you know where is that information coming from? It sounds like it could be a case of "playground gossip".

I think it would be interesting to know which schools produced children offered a grammar school place - I suspect that this year is more of a level playing field than in previous years because of the new format which is supposed to be tutor proof.

Nine children in my son's primary school were successful - but that is for Rugby grammar schools.
stratford mum

Post by stratford mum »

The information I have is fairly reliable as it comes from mothers whose children are at the respective schools. While I don't have figures for all the schools (about two thirds), for the ones I do, they all have had significantly less passes than previous years. Unless the few schools I don't know about have done exceptionally well, the places must be being filled by children fron outside the area. Does anyone know how many passed from Bishopton, The Willows or St Gregory's?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Sorry, I don't know about the Stratford area but I have heard about quite a few surprise passes and surprise fails this year. Certainly more than last year. But this may just be school gate gossip...
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

stratford mum, I am interested to understand how a change in exam style would disadvantage children from Stratford in particular. Why do you think out of area applicants might perform better relative to Stratford children in the new exam than they did in the old, or have I misunderstood your point?
stratford mum

Post by stratford mum »

I don't know if it is relevant to the new exam system. Just looking at numbers of successes, there seems to be rather a significant difference between the numbers of Srarford children passing and the number of places available. Maybe this has always been the case. But it seems unlikely as I have yet to hear of a school with increased success this year.
magwich2

stratford schools

Post by magwich2 »

My DD was at stratford preparatory school last year (and did the NFER test) - in her class of 20 ( I think) about three quarters of the children passed and the rate at The Croft was about 47% (both these private schools usually seem to get 45% - 50% through the exam. DD's class was a particularly bright one which explains last year's results.

This year, however, the Prep got 7 out of 19 through and I understand from playground gossip (don't diss it, its usually very helpful!!) that The Croft has similarly poor results.

What I also keep hearing is that a considerable number of parents played the special needs ticket to get extra time for their children in the exam and this increase in numbers has been confirmed by CEM and Warwickshire Education dept( see previous post )

Some parents swear by a particular firm in Coventry where for £450 you can allegedly get a report saying roughly what you want.

I do not know the truth of it but clearly it would be beneficial to all if the education authority stopped hiding and told everyone the truth including all the statistics about which schools got children through the exam.
nmf

South Warwickshire Grammars

Post by nmf »

I am finding that more children from Solihull and Shirley schools have been successful this year than in previous years. The gate gossip appears to suggest that these children have been coached by tutors familiar with the Birmingham King Edwards exams, also set by CEM.

The geography of where these families live means that they are very fortunate and have lots of choices not available to those of us actually in Stratford.
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

There has been much debate as to whether these CEM exams are "tutorproof" and although not completely I think they are fairer than the previous format, where there was a marked advantage for heavily tutored children.

If there has been the suggested drop in children gaining entry from private schools where children are tutored, then this seems to support CEM's claims?

It does seem rather unfair if places are going to far more children outside of the area, but my understanding was that there is a priority circle you have to be within.

In Birmingham, there are no such restrictions and children travel miles to the Grammar schools both across and from well outside of the city.

I live in Worcs and at least 15 children from my son's middle school sat the test for South Warks, many of whom passed (inc my ds), but all of them are going to the Birmingham KEGS schools.
guest27

Stratford schools

Post by guest27 »

"If there has been the suggested drop in children gaining entry from private schools where children are tutored, then this seems to support CEM's claims? "

Mommyjo, do you think that children in state schools are not tutored?

If this is the case then you are mistaken.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now