Transport appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Doodys mum

Transport appeal

Post by Doodys mum »

Has anyone had a successful transport appeal?

DS is entitled to free home to school transport for the local comprehensive school from our Warwickshire village, but because I have chosen a grammar instead (and the part of the county I live in does not support grammar education) I have been told I will not receive any assistance. The grammar is also a Warwickshire school.

I do have genuine reasons for wanting to attend the grammar rather than the local comp. (bullying issues) and DS did so well in the 11+ that he really deserves to go.

Thank you for any advice you can give.
capers123

Re: Transport appeal

Post by capers123 »

Doodys mum wrote:Has anyone had a successful transport appeal?

DS is entitled to free home to school transport for the local comprehensive school from our Warwickshire village, but because I have chosen a grammar instead (and the part of the county I live in does not support grammar education) I have been told I will not receive any assistance. The grammar is also a Warwickshire school.

I do have genuine reasons for wanting to attend the grammar rather than the local comp. (bullying issues) and DS did so well in the 11+ that he really deserves to go.
I don't know about transport appeals, but as far as I'm aware, you only get transport paid to your closest school, or closest faith school (should you happen not to be a humanist).

Back in the '70's, was lucky. My parents ticked for two grammars - first official choice was the local single sex grammar, 2nd choice was a mixed grammar but further away. You were expected to pay to get to the 1st choice, but if offered the 2nd choice the county paid. I got the pass for the 2nd choice on the Tuesday, at which point my parents accepted the offer, and the following day came an offer from the local school. Shucks. Too late. The second choice also happened to be our preferred choice but we were skint.

Nowadays, I think it's stricter. But it is worth trying on the bullying grounds.
Capers
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I've known quite a few people apply for grammars in areas where the LA would normally send them to a comprehensive, they can't get free travel as there is "a suitable school" nearer.

The kids coming into North Yorks from East Lancs and West Yorks are paying quite a lot of money each year for transport.

Not sure what grounds you could use to get free transport? they can get pretty determined that you can go to the nearer school instead :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Just to add that transport appeals are not independent in the way that school admission appeals are.

Most authorities seem to have transport appeal panels consisting of three or five local councillors.
Etienne
catcool

transport appeals

Post by catcool »

I also clerk these and trust me the county councillors uphold very few of these and almost certainly would not agree to the La funding the cost of transporting a child to a grammar school when there is a closest community school.

Whilst not independent as school admission appeals are,a parent does have the right to complain to the Local Govt ombudsman .
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Most transport appeal panels will take into account:

1. How far is the nearest school?
2. Is the route safe?
3. Any special circumstances for over-riding the LA's decision?

As catcool implies, your case will probably have to be exceptional if it is to stand much of a chance.

You can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman afterwards, but only if the appeal has not been conducted properly, not because you disagree with the decision.
Etienne
Doodys mum

Post by Doodys mum »

Thank you for your advice. I will try anyway as I have nothing to lose but just not get my hopes up too high.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The law and guidelines on school transport can be found in a DfES document:
http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/d ... 00373-2007
The bare basics are that LAs will pay for transport to the nearest “suitableâ€
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Doodys mum wrote:Thank you for your advice. I will try anyway as I have nothing to lose but just not get my hopes up too high.
That's very sensible.

I don't think we've ever had a question about a transport appeal before.

Thank you, Doodys mum!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now