Total marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firsttimermum

Total marks

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi just read the scores for admission this year....What is the total number of marks. I mean what are these 351 and324 out of? Just to get an idea of % required.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

These are not raw marks but standardised scores. Please read some of the other posts and links from the home page about Standardisation.

There are 2 papers each containing questions that are classified as being Numerical, Verbal or Non Verbal type. The marks for questions of each type are consolidated together and age standardised.

So a minimum pass mark of 351 (highest mark this for KECHB) is the sum of 3 standardised scores. For example 3 x 117. But this is the lowest possible mark and not all boys on 351 may get an offer due to distance.

Therefore in practice, a boy would probably need to be averaging a standardised score of 118 across the 3 sections. An age standardised score of 118 is about the 89% pecentile of all candidates - viz 11% achieve 118 or better and 89% don't.

Hope this helps.
firsttimermum

standardised scores

Post by firsttimermum »

Hey thanks for replying!! I have been reading these posts all day and am familiar with it, he seems to be scoring 120-124 at the moment, howver it is very early and he attends tutition i'm just gettin anxious so any tips would be appreciated.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

You really will have no idea what he might score in a real KE Exam, they are totally different to the usual NFER/Bond VR and NVR material used by the majority (but not all) tutors.

The KE Exam is set by the Univ of Durham CEM centre and past papers are not available. This this very much more difficult than the traditional NFER type exam and the children are under extreme time pressure.

Even for those exams that are based on NFER type questions (Bishop Vesey or Sutton Coldfield Grammar) it's still very difficult to assess what their Age Standardised score might be as this varies by test, year and candidate profile. How do you know that he is performing in the 120 - 124 range - is this something your tutor has told you? If so I would take it with a big pinch of salt!
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi again, the standardised scores were calculated from some NFER papers his tutor set him under time conditions, just to get an idea of if he is capable. I know these don't really mean much. :?
He also attends a tuition centre once a week which is very reputable,and has had a very good pass rate this year with lots of children passing even to CH and FW.
How do you really know if this is enough, I mean he ends up studying at least about an hour and half studying every night if not more, and thats aside from any reading.
za1

Tuition

Post by za1 »

Again this is my personal opinion only. With 8 months to go, surely anything more then 1.5 hours or 2 hours a night is overkill for a 10 year old? You can do too much as easily as you can do too little. If he is going to two tuition classes and is getting the marks you have mentioned, then you have nothing to worry. Just get him to read lots.