Guitar Let it Be

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LuluQueen

Guitar Let it Be

Post by LuluQueen »

Hi all,

DD is trying to learn "Let it Be" on the guitar by chords. She is finding the F chord quite difficult as your first finger has to be on two strings. Stupid question, but are there any alternatives to using the F chord that still sounds like F?

Thanks,

LQ
lion63

Post by lion63 »

Just press one of the strings with the 1st finger; either string will do.
You won't lose much in terms of the chord sound if you are strumming and don't strum right through to the last string(edit: if that's the string you are omitting.)

Other alternative is to sing louder.
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

Haha thank you lion63, DD will appreciate it. I think she would rather go for the first option !
:lol:

LQ
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Avoid playing F altogether - buy a capo from a music shop and transpose it to an easier key! (Or transpose it anyway and sing slightly higher or lower.)

If you PM me the chords she's playing at the moment I might be able to come up with something easier for her.
Marylou
Flamenco

Re: Guitar Let it Be

Post by Flamenco »

LuluQueen wrote:She is finding the F chord quite difficult as your first finger has to be on two strings.
Not necessarily so but preferably your first finger is on two strings or better still, six strings - a bar chord.
LuluQueen wrote:Stupid question, but are there any alternatives to using the F chord that still sounds like F?
Yes - but they are just as difficult for a new beginner. As the diagram shows (top line - link below) you just press your first finger on the 6th string leaving the 1st and 2nd strings open. [The bar chord will now come about if you flatten your first finger on all 6 strings.]

http://www.4shared.com/file/92932785/ae ... hords.html

But seriously, the F chord is vitally important in guitar playing. This is the more difficult chord to learn for a new beginner but once this chord is mastered then various other chord sounds eg. A, C, D, E, [F] G can be reproduced by sliding the F-chord shape up and down the neck. Please encourage your DD to persevere and as each day passes, it WILL become easier.

I have PM you for an alternative 'Let It Be' avoiding much of the F chord.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

The F chord is one of my favourites now although it was difficult to begin with, especially with a young musician.

In time, with growth i.e longer fingers and increased digital strength, the bar chord becomes the preferred position. Just compare a man's hand with a child's hand..even keyboards develop a richer, more controlled sound as you get older and more practised.

I'd still go for the sneaky way now. :D
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

lion63 wrote:In time, with growth i.e longer fingers and increased digital strength, the bar chord becomes the preferred position. Just compare a man's hand with a child's hand..
But you can get a smaller guitar for a child e.g. a ¾ size. Talking of which, I have one such guitar (amongst others) that I bought for DS at Christmas 1997 but he never actually touched it. :( It's still here in absolutely pristine condition inside its case. :cry:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now