relocating

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dan

relocating

Post by Dan »

Hi, I am new to this website, my DS took kent test and passed scored 394, DG cutoff 401. We as a family chose this school as we were planning to move to the area in the summer as we did not wish him to travel huge distances. Things have of course not gone to plan. If we relocate now, what would this mean in terms of where he would stand in terms of the waiting list and school policy, can any one help on this subject?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Dan, Welcome to the site. Sorry things haven't gone to plan for you. I see nobody has replied, maybe they wouldn't like to hazard a guess. Have you spoken to KCC to ask them, or the school directly?
Please let us know how you get on. :)
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry I do not know this school; presume it is Dartford Grammar. Is the cut-off you quote for category b) or c) or the admission policy? Did they admit anyone from cat c)?

Presumably you intend to move into a cat b) area. In this case you need to ask the school where this would put you on the current waiting list. And then you need to hazard guess whether the waitng list is likely to move that much.

Good luck
Dan

Post by Dan »

This is really helpful. They did take puplis from cat c), which was ranked. I intend to make contact with the head shortly.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

so if they took people from cat c), everyone who wanted a place in cat b) got in. So the waiting list of people who currently live in cat b) would be quite short, one would imagine - just people who for whatever reason now want to switch schools, rather than people who really wanted it in the initial allocation.

So maybe if you lived in a cat b) area you might be quite high up the list (which will be held in order of score, and distance from school will only be used as a "tie-breaker").

However, it is still a high risk strategy to move even if it would put you at the top of the list, as a place may never come up. If this school took people in on appeal over and above standard numbers, strictly speaking (but not all schools are strict about this and I don't know who would take them to task if they were not) they have to fall back to standard numbers before taking people off the waiting list.

You can't buy a house on this basis. But what you can do is this. If you know for certain that a place is coming up and that if you lived in cat b) you would be first on the list (and you can only know this on a day to day basis) then you rent straight away in cat b) area and move in (check all terms of admissions policy on residency etc to check you will not come unstuck). To get the timing on this right you would have to have constant up to date info from whoever is managing the waiting list. I know of someone who did it, but I don't really know how they did it!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now