quick appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wait is killing me

quick appeal?

Post by wait is killing me »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am now wondering and worried that my appeal was possibly rushed.
I had an appeal for one of the grammar schools recently and was the last one of the day at 9pm. The panel had been going since 7am that morning I was told!

Although I arrived well prepared with what I beleive were geniune mitigating circumstances, I was expecting to be in much longer than what could have been no more than 8-10 mins or so.
I didn' t complete my presentation before the chairman began to ask questions , all of which I answered. I wasn;t asked to sum up at the end either. Everyone was polite and curteous however but it did feel like we were being rushed and they wanted to go home.

A friend of mine had her appeal with a different panel and was in there for 35 mins with plenty of time to present her case.

I;m now feeling like we may have just been dismissed without proper time to elaborate, however, my husband is reassuring me by stating that all our evidence is written in our appeal letter which they will have read and read again even if we didn;t cover everything verbally.

Am I worrying for nothing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

8-10 minutes doesn't sound adequate to me, but I'm afraid there's nothing you can do until you have the decision.

If it's "No," then I suggest asking the ombudsman what he thinks.
Etienne
Beatrice

Post by Beatrice »

Hi, I am new to Forum so hope this works.

When you say that your friend had appeal with a different panel-was it for the same school (yr7). If so the Members on each Panel should be the same people. I would say a minimum of 20 mins is required for each appeal and you must be allowed to sum up. Asfor the Clerks notes they should show start and finish times of your hearing. Then if necessary make a complaint to the Ombudsman.
wait is killing me

Hi etienne , beatrice

Thakyou for your quick replies. Friends appeal was for a different school and different panel. Another friend sat with the same panel however, and her appeal was also a short one!

Re: ombudsman, I was thinking to wait for decision first and then reveiw this if appeal is unsuccessful or can I ask for start/finish times now over the phone.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure if they'll give you this information on the phone.

You will have to wait until after the decision before asking for the clerk's notes - and some admission authorities resist making them available.

See the Q&As, D4.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-D
Etienne
wait is killing me

Thankyou Ettiene.

I will reveiw this tomorrow and keep you posted. I just hope after all this, its good news anyway!

Thanks