Herts Consortium Music Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

resmum

Herts Consortium Music Test

Post by resmum »

My daughter sat the aural part of this exam and has been called back for an audition next week.

The wording of the invitation says "this date is earlier that published in order to accommodate the number of applicants and to extend the opportunity for participation in the practical assessment"

This suggests to me that they are auditioning more children than usual. In fact I know of 3 other children from my daughter's school who have also been called back for auditions.

Does anyone know why they might be doing more auditions than in previous years?

Also if anyone can shed any light on what the panel will be looking for I'd be grateful for that info too.

Thanks
Resmum
Watford worrier

Re: Herts Consortium Music Test

Post by Watford worrier »

resmum wrote:My daughter sat the aural part of this exam and has been called back for an audition next week.

Does anyone know why they might be doing more auditions than in previous years?

Also if anyone can shed any light on what the panel will be looking for I'd be grateful for that info too.
Sorry I can't cast any light on the former, and it's probably too late for the latter, but here's a report from my son on his audition this morning. His performance was assessed by three teachers, presumably spread across the schools. When he finished playing, they asked him what grade he had reached, what was the grade of the piece, what other instruments he played, and whether he played in a band. This surprised me, as they adopted this form of test after the Schools Adjudicator ruled that their previous use of grades measured achievement rather than aptitude, and interviews for selection are supposed to be forbidden.
resmum

herts music test

Post by resmum »

My daughter did the test yesterday and was happy with her performance. She was also asked if she played in an orchestra and sang in the school choir.

I saw that on the form they awarded 45 marks for the practical test (accuracy, musicality, performance). Presumably these are added to the aural test. Whether they add other marks for "likely to contribute to musical life within the school" is anyone's guess, but given the sort of questions they were asking it seems possible. Someone suggested to me that candidates who played the piano and couldn't offer any other instruments might be at a disadvantage.

I know they have been auditioning all week so chances of success depend on how many candidates they have heard. I worked out there are about 125 music places going in the Herts consortium and many of the children will be applying for more than one school. Someone else I was talking to thought they might only be auditioning 30 per day. If that is true and they are only auditioning 150 overall its likely that nearly all the candidates will be offered a place. Fingers crossed that this is the case! If anyone knows if the auditions are continuing next week pls let me know.

Resmum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now