Sample exams for SWGS exams ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wiltshire (Wilts)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wiltsman

Sample exams for SWGS exams ?

Post by wiltsman »

Can someone suggest the most suitable range of sample exam books for the exams taken for SWGS ?

I believe the exams are currently English, Maths, and verbal reasoning, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm misinformed.
stevew61

Re: Sample exams for SWGS exams ?

Post by stevew61 »

wiltsman wrote:Can someone suggest the most suitable range of sample exam books for the exams taken for SWGS ?

I believe the exams are currently English, Maths, and verbal reasoning, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm misinformed.
Hi wiltsman,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like changes.

http://www.swgs.wilts.sch.uk/admissions.asp
News - To find out about the Consultation that is in process for 2010 Admissions Arrangements,
Selection is by means of selection tests. In a typical year candidates will need to achieve a minimum level of 75% in the entrance test to be considered for admission. Meeting the academic requirements for entry to the School is not in itself a guarantee of a place.
The child’s performance in a multiple choice paper in Verbal Reasoning, Mathematics and English papers set by GL Assessment provide the main evidence of ability. There will also be a piece of extended writing to be used in borderzone cases. The scores are standardised to make allowances for the child’s age and to give equal weighting to the three papers. The scores are then added together to give a final score. If this is equal to or above the cut off mark a child is deemed to be of Grammar School ability. Any child found to be of Grammar School ability would be offered the available places following the oversubscription criteria listed below.
GL is the new name for NFER.
http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/about_us ... ssment.asp

Start here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/list.php?g=f&p=3

You may need to think about starter papers and method books.

Does that help?

steve
wiltsman

Re: Sample exams for SWGS exams ?

Post by wiltsman »

Hi wiltsman,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like changes.
Thanks. I just hope I don't get hit by the tumbleweed.

AFAICS there are no changes this year, which is when my daughter will be taking the exam.
Thanks. Didn't know they'd changed their name.
You may need to think about starter papers and method books.
Yes. I've got a method book and I've just discovered that my wife already has the Nfer-Nelson papers anyway. It seems to me that the either the method book covers a much harder set of topics than the exam, or that the exam is harder than the Nfer-Nelson sample papers.

Unfortunately as it's impossible to get hold of old papers, it's hard to know which is the case.
Does that help?
Yes, thanks.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Thanks. I just hope I don't get hit by the tumbleweed….

AFAICS there are no changes this year, which is when my daughter will be taking the exam.
Wait a few days and see if anyone with local knowledge responds, if not have a look at previous posters on Wiltshire and try sending them a PM.

Most folk are happy to help. :)

Good luck and best wishes.

steve
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Hi wiltsman!

The information on the site (see link below) about the Wilts 11+ is still correct AFAIK with one exception. The VR test is based on 21 types rather than the 15 types in the reccommended familiarisation papers. My daughter found the real tests harder than any papers she had encountered before.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-wiltshire.php

I think the consultation process was just a formality, all selective schools have to review their admission processess regularly.

Hope this helps, if you want any more info just ask. :D

sycamore
wiltsman

Post by wiltsman »

sycamore wrote:Hi wiltsman!

The information on the site (see link below) about the Wilts 11+ is still correct AFAIK with one exception. The VR test is based on 21 types rather than the 15 types in the reccommended familiarisation papers. My daughter found the real tests harder than any papers she had encountered before.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-wiltshire.php
OK, I'm a little confused now. So the Nfer-Nelson papers cover only 15 out of the 21 types of questions that actually use in the real exam. In that case, where can I find practice material that covers the 21 types ? Anyone know ?

Can anyone also suggest other practice papers, other than Nfer-Nelson, that are suitable for using for Wilts ? There seem to be several other types of papers, but it seems like most of them will cover irrelevant material.

We're currently using the Bond 10 minute tests every day, but I'd like to get some additional practice papers to flesh out the ludicrously limited Nfer-Nelson offerings.