Travel to Kendrick from Bracknell

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MumHere

Travel to Kendrick from Bracknell

Post by MumHere »

Does anyone travel from Bracknell to Kendrick/ Reading boys by bus? I'm told that many children take the train as that is very convenient.We do not stay close to the station and was wondering if there is a bus/coach to Kendrick that could be more convenient to us? DD has never travelled on her own before hence I'm being a bit nervous....
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Mumhere contact the school, and ask if they know. I do know that a coach service is run from Binfield (nr Bracknell) to Reading School, so not that far from Kendrick.
Bracknell Dad

Post by Bracknell Dad »

Our daughter will be starting in Sept too. I do not believe that there is a special school bus. There are public buses, but they start from Bracknell bus station, take longer than the train and drop off not much nearer the school.

It seems that a lot of girls (and boys from RBS) take the train and make friends quickly with others on the same route so I'm told.

Hope this helps.
ks

Post by ks »

Bracknell dad is right. Lots of Kendrick girls take the train. The school's published figures (for their recent planning applications) state that 37% of girls travel by train (so 11-12 per class on average) so she will have lots of company. My DD is starting in September & will be taking the train - also a bit nervous at this stage but I know they find others doing the same journey very quickly.
MumHere

Post by MumHere »

Thanks Bewildered,Bracknell Dad and ks. I had a look and there are coaches that run via Bracknell to Reading (but these are for Reading boys, Abbey and not Kendrick). As you mentioned a lot of childern take the train and they make friends quickly. In fact DD says she prefers the train and we will be visiting the station one of these days just to get a 'feel' :)
mumm

Post by mumm »

Hi
My daughter is in yr 7 and travels from Bracknell to Reading every day. There are lots of girls who also travel, some from as far as Richmond and once your daughters work out which carriage they are all in im sure they will find girls to sit with. But I will say the girls really need a walking buddy as its quite a long walk from the staion to the school and due to some recent incidents with lone males in the town centre, I believe the school now insists that girls have a friend to walk with after school. It may be worth you getting your daughters together so they can at least have someone they can travel with from day 1. Also you need to bear in mind after school clubs.... if their friends arent in the same clubs you will have to go and collect them from school yourself.
If you have any other questions just ask.
Congratulations to your daughters on gaining a place
Mumm :P
Bracknell Dad

Post by Bracknell Dad »

Thanks for the info. mumm

Can you tell me for the after school clubs, is it a school rule that they have to be met at the school or are they allowed to leave by themselves?

Thanks,
mumm

Post by mumm »

The school it seems dont monitor who leaves with who so your daughter could leave on her own but with my daughter she would be too scared to incase she was caught!!!! Also I suppose it depends how you feel about your 11 year old walking through Reading on their own and not get lost!!!
Mumm
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

mumm wrote:I will say the girls really need a walking buddy as its quite a long walk from the staion to the school :P
Don't know if this is still the case, but I was at university in Reading and my Hall of Residence was across the road from Kendrick School. In those days the bus from/to the station stopped right outside the hall, ie at the London Road end of Kendrick Road, so this could be a solution if going home alone.
MumHere

Post by MumHere »

Hi mumm,

How regular are these club meetings? Do these get cancelled without prior notice or if there aren't enough girls on that day? I'm planning to tailor my work hours to coincide with DD returning home.

Thanks,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now