how to apply& when for 11 plus in B'ham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

maximum

how to apply& when for 11 plus in B'ham

Post by maximum »

Hello All

just came across this forum and registered straight away!
I have some questions, so can you please excuse me if you feel i am asking toooo many!!

i am helping a 10 yr old with homework.mother doesn't speak english and father too busy in business. I waited for them to advise me on whether to start preparing the kid for 11 plus, but no instructions came from them.So i have asked them today to make a decision and let me know.

Though i am highly capable of supporting with homework & preparing for the exam, i am not conversant with the UK education system. I thought tha the kids have to take a single exam(11 plus) and then those results are used to gain entry to different schools.However, it appears as though you have to choose the schools and sit their own test.Am i correct here?
A few other of my Q's are:

#Is it too late to enter for this years 11+?
#How does one apply?Do we have to approach the school teachers?
#Childrens abilities are often discussed as Levels, i.e they achieved level 2 in maths, level 4 in english etc.What does that mean?and is level 1 higher or level 4?
#Which of the above levels should the child be working at in order for them to have a good chance of being successful in 11+?

Many thanks in advance, if some one can shed some light on these issues or outs me in the right direction of getting the answers.
KenR

Post by KenR »

#Is it too late to enter for this years 11+?
yes it's too late for year 6 primary children, entries have to be in around the end of Sept prior to the tests. The tests are taken in Oct & Nov.

How does one apply?Do we have to approach the school teachers?
You need to read the B/Ham LEA information published in the booklet and follow the instructions. Booklets are issues to all parents with children in year 6 normally in Sept. There is a separate application for each grammar school, but you also need to complete a B/ham LEA prference form.

#Childrens abilities are often discussed as Levels, i.e they achieved level 2 in maths, level 4 in english etc.What does that mean?and is level 1 higher or level 4?
#Which of the above levels should the child be working at in order for them to have a good chance of being successful in 11+?
Levels aimed at are 1 level per 2 years for the average and are graded as follows:

1c, 1b, 1a (a being the highest)
2c,2b,2a
3c,3b,3a and so on
At KS1 SATS (ie end Year 2) - Level 2b is average.
Year 4 expected attainment would be Level 3b,
KS2 SATS at end of Year 6 expected attainment is Level 4b which is quoted as the Governments minimum target level. Any child acheiving level 5c, 5b or 5a or above is obviously well above average.
maximum

Post by maximum »

Thanks KenR

OMG........its too late.think i should have been on this site before i spoke to the mother this morning.what if they have been deliberating today and decide that they do want the kid to have a go :(

there are still 6,7 months to go for teh exam this yr, so does that mean you have to apply a year earlier than the approximate time of the exam :shock:
maximum

Post by maximum »

KenR as you have mentioned that booklets are issued to all kids during september.so that means the parents took no notice of that booklet, probably did not een know it was for 11+ :x

thats the thing.......even though they have asked me to help the kid ,i am never told when a parent eveing has come, gone or waht the outcome was.and i get to see/told the contents of the end of year report after constant nagging 3 months after they get it!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Maximum

Which year is this child in?

If the child is in year 6 then it is too late, the child will have already been allocated a secondary school.

If it is in year 5 then you still have plenty of time.
maximum

Post by maximum »

Mitasol-the kid will be 10 yrs old first week in July & am presuming thats Year 6
T-4-2

Post by T-4-2 »

No, that's year 5 then.
maximum

Post by maximum »

T-4-2 wrote:No, that's year 5 then.
Sorry i am now confused as to which year exactly she is.........but a family member of mine will be 10yr old, 3 weeks after this girl and am being told that she will take the 11+ test end of this year :? ??
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

So if he is 9 at the moment and becomes 10 this July, 2009 - I think he is in year 5 and you still have time.
maximum

Post by maximum »

mitasol wrote:So if he is 9 at the moment and becomes 10 this July, 2009 - I think he is in year 5 and you still have time.
Right-will have to find out her age and school year tommorow before discussing further with her parents!

You see, i am not a professional tutor (just someone who happens to be good at maths, english etc) so down want to let teh parents down!they just have not mentioned abs anything about the 11+!