Tutoring for Tiffin Girls Advice Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Doblinski

Tutoring for Tiffin Girls Advice Please

Post by Doblinski »

Would dearly love to hear how you tutored your girls for Tiffin Entrance please. We're looking into home tutoring too.

DD in year 4 currently and I'm guessing we should be on the case sometime next year, year 5? When did you start and which papers / books did you find most helpful for Tiffin Girls?

Thanks very much Dobslinski
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

We're looking into home tutoring too.
There are many parents who contribute in this site are parent tutors including myself. I have tutored my children to Tiffin boys school without the help of any external tutors.

Note that both Tiffin schools conduct the exams on the same question format - NVR and VR. NVR 80 questions in 50 minutes; VR 85 questions in 50 minutes.

It is very much doable if you have the time, resources and the knowhow.
When did you start / books
Among other factors, it mainly mainly on the child's ability. If you are planning to start from year 5 then you have plenty of time to start from the basic and gradually grow with it.
books did you find most helpful
So many...

All the free downloads available from this site and others.
How to do VR from The Tutors (available for free download from this site), Athey and Learning Together.
How to do NVR from AE Tuitions 1&2, Bond

NFER practice papers on VR, NVR
Walsh papers
Learning Labs
Bond
Susan Daugherty/Bright Sparks
AFN
The Tutors

..and many others
patricia

Post by patricia »

Gilly wrote:
So many...

All the free downloads available from this site and others.
How to do VR from The Tutors (available for free download from this site), Athey and Learning Together.
How to do NVR from AE Tuitions 1&2, Bond

NFER practice papers on VR, NVR
Walsh papers
Learning Labs
Bond
Susan Daugherty/Bright Sparks
AFN
The Tutors

..and many others
To clarify, in respect of VR

Athey, Bond, Learning Together and Susan Daughtreys 7 books are not relevant to the Tiffins VR papers.

The VR is identical to the Bucks 11 plus except only one VR paper is sat. Take a look at the following thread.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Unfortunately I cannot help with the NVR

Patricia
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Athey, Bond, Learning Together and Susan Daughtreys 7 books are not relevant to the Tiffins VR papers.
Patricia,

I not arguing with your statement, but they didn't do any harm to by boys' 11+ preparations and successful places in Tiffin (and passing exams in another grammar school as well). They only enriched their knowledge.
Then again I am not that kind of a parent who would only go by the rule books. I will use any relevant material to make their brains think and add the logics to their armory.

Gilly
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Gilly

Although I understand your sentiments, I will always see things through a 'tutors eyes.' It would be foolish of me to teach other than the correct formula.

My personal views are, why bother teaching material that a child will never use again. I would rather enrich with reading and exploring other aspects of life other than just another irrelevant VR technique/question.

Patricia
Doblinski

Post by Doblinski »

Thanks for responses, but I am a bit confused now - I was ready to go with Gilly's advice of Bond, Walsh, Daugherty and AFN books then someone said some of these are 'not relevant' to Tiffin

Help! Which are the right books / threads on this website to follow please? Sorry to be thicko. Thanks
isamum

Post by isamum »

trust patricia :-)
she is a tutor and anyway as you go along you would get to understand the system.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Doblinski

The VR discipline for both Tiffin schools, use 21 types in Multiple Choice form, from NFER [Gl Assesment]

1] Some publishers use these 21 types only.

2] Others will use the 21 types but include many others.

3] Some will not cover all of the 21 but include many others [Bond]

4] Some publishers will only use standard form. [not multiple choice] There are different techiques for standard and multiple choice.

If you want to keep just to the 21 types [as used by Tiffins] then take a look at the link in my post above.

Good Luck.

Patricia