Bucks 12+ appeal Help required Please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bucksappealmum

Bucks 12+ appeal Help required Please

Post by bucksappealmum »

I have been advised to post it here and Sally Anne and Etienne will help me......Thank you

Hi I am a newbie, sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.
First of all congratulations to all who have been successfull in Late transfer test.
My DD unfortuntely narrowly missed with 120 score. I am looking at Bucks selection appeal, any advice will be highly appreciated.interested in BG or CH ,out of catchment.

I have already contacted the HT who is not willing to support at all, despite, the Class teacher indicating her glowing performance, actually saying ,DD is in the wrong place(i.e school) and is at the top of the Class in yr 7 Cats,high predictions for GCSEs . I requested in writing to obtain Y7 Cats report ,which was ignored,in writing to say no evidence will be provided,ther is no reason why she should go to Bucks school , I have no other reports from School, Class teacher has taken a Uturn and does not recall saying anything (idea of a little MP3 file seems appealing at the minute... ) Please advise how to request DD's reports and class work from a totally uncooperative school.From What I have gathered School does not want to loose their bright pupil,everytime I ask they keep saying how wonderful DD's current school is and Grammer school is no good.
DD has KS2 5, 5 ,4 in English Science and Maths with extenuating circumstances back to KS2.

I want to know what my rights are in obtaining reports and notebooks of class works from the CT?

11+ scores were 113, 116, had on going extenuating circumstances ,lack of academic evidence, was not on OOS list, I did not appeal as I was in bits back then and could not bear the stress of an appeal.

We are 28.5 miles away from the test centre and DD is known to be very anxious before long Journeys, was unable to sleep that night.Please give me some pointers . I shall thank you forever.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear bucksappealmum

Welcome to Appeals!

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened. It's understandable that schools don't want to lose their good pupils, but sadly some go on to put their own interests before those of the child.

The school must provide you with most of what you want, although possibly not everything.

Once verbal requests have failed, anything that follows needs to be in writing. Here are three possible letters, in ascending order of strength - take your pick!

[I've written "BCC late selection report (if completed)" below because, if your current school is not in Bucks, it's just possible they refused to fill one in.]
Dear Headteacher

I am writing to request a copy of my daughter's school record, her CAT scores, BCC late selection report (if completed), and any of her classwork held by the school.

I should be grateful if you could respond as quickly as possible, as it is a matter of some urgency.

Thank you for your assistance.

Yours sincerely
Dear Headteacher

I am writing to request a copy of my daughter's school record, her CAT scores, BCC late selection report (if completed), and any of her classwork held by the school.

I should be grateful if you could respond as quickly as possible, as it is a matter of some urgency.

If I have not heard from you within a week, I shall have to make a formal request to the Chair of Governors under the Data Protection Act.

Yours sincerely
To the Chair of Governors (by recorded delivery)

Dear Chair of Governors

Data Protection Act

I have requested from the headteacher a copy of my daughter's school record, her CAT scores, BCC late selection report (if completed), and any of her classwork held by the school.

Although I indicated that this is a matter of some urgency, unfortunately the school has not complied.

I am now submitting a formal request to you under the Data Protection Act that the information requested be made available to me within the 15 school days specified by the Act.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Yours sincerely

[copy to headteacher]
Please note: they can charge you up to £10 for a request under the Data Protection Act.

Meanwhile, you mustn't lose time. It's worth having a go at an appeal with your daughter's score. Get hold of an appeal form urgently, where it says "reasons for appeal" write "details of case to follow", and send it back as quickly as possible. (You can always cancel the appeal if you change your mind.)

We'll help you when it comes to putting together your case.

In the meantime, here is your bedtime reading:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
Etienne
bucksappealmum

Post by bucksappealmum »

Thank you so much Etienne, for your valuable advice, I did not know how to address the letter , it is so much easier now .

I shall try the first letter and keep you posted of the outcome,and fill out the appeal forms as soon as possible, my daugter wants me to do this for her this time, and I do not want to let her down. I shall need your support through this as I am new to all this and DD is my eldest I have no experinece of any procedures.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now