"ordinary" grammar schools?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

"ordinary" grammar schools?

Post by katel »

I directed a friend to this form a while ago, but she said she didn't think it was appropriate for her because she lives in a town in Kent where if you pass you get a place, and everyone on this forum is aiming for top marks for the super selectives. Is that the case? Thinking about it, it certainly looks that way - the "ordinary" grammars never seem to get a mention.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All Bucks GS are 'ordinary' by your definition - if you qualify and live in Bucks you get a place - distance from the school is the main criterion in allocating places.

I think you will find the Bucks section is quite lively!! :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The grammars here in North Yorkshire are ordinary - if you pass and live incatchment, you get a place.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Same here in Trafford. If you are in catchment all you have to do is pass. Some use high scores for those out of catchment but not all.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

The same in Bexley. The top 180 scorers can go to any of the 4 grammars in the borough, regardless of where they live. After that places are allocated on distance to those who achieved the pass mark, regardless of score.

I'm sure many grammars in Kent are just selective as opposed to super-selective aren't they? Some appear to be a mixture in that they offer some places to applicants with the highest score and the rest on distance.
tense

Post by tense »

In Herts we only have a few partially selective schools - generally only allocating 25% of places on the academic tests. There is no pass mark so places are awarded in order of merit - I think some would say this makes them kind of "super-selectives" (never too sure exactly what that means).

But I'm sorry if your friend has been put off. I've found lots of helpful advice, support & had interesting debates about schooling in general on this forum. Which is why I'm still lurking here even though my DD is now in Year 7! :lol:
katel

Post by katel »

OK, next question (from me, this one - not my friend)

What is so special about the super-selectives? Why would you want the stress of getting your child into one when the "ordinary" (for want of a better word) have, generally, excellent facilities and results?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No idea! They seem to create a lot of problems with pupils not able to access local schools -
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Katel, by 'Super selective', are you referring to a grammar school which wholly selects children without catchment and are for example the top 100 out of all those that took the test?

Some parents have no option as these are the only good schools near them.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Have to agree with Bewildered. Most do not have the choice and sit the exam for a school close to where they live or enter their child for a school without a catchment as it may be their only chance of getting a GS place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now