Homework at Parmiters

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mick999

Homework at Parmiters

Post by mick999 »

Hello,

Does anyone know how much homework per night is given to Year 7 children?

Thanks.
Sressed but survivor

Post by Sressed but survivor »

I think it depends on the class your child is in and how much they apply themselves. The children are given a homework time table so they know how much is due per subject, mostly this is adhered to by the teachers, supposedly 3 subjects x 45 minutes per night I think. However when the project- type activities (to cover several homeworks) are given out, my DS spends a long time on them. These might be things like - building an island & making a map; a particularly involved piece of artwork, building a cell, writing long reports. I don't know how children can create these things without some parental support. But even my DS admits he has learned a lot from the homwork tasks, and he still has time for after-school instrument lessons &tc.
Pinkboots

Post by Pinkboots »

Gosh that is actually quite hard to answer as it can vary so much. I would say my DD gets an average of an hour a night ( :shock: I had no idea it was supposed to be 2hrs 15mins!!). But as SBS has said she can spend a lot longer than that on tasks that involve researching on the internet (she gets sidetracked!) & those arty projects like making an island / a torah scroll / decorating a poem etc :roll: It's true these do need some parental involvement but I do try to let my DD take the lead -some of the islands I saw were obviously not made by children!!!

She rarely gets homework that needs to be in the next day - if she does, it is usually something quite short - so she often lets her homework carry over until the weekend. This is because she does a lot of after school clubs & what with these & matches as well the weeks are often really busy!

It's true my DD has very little time for lolling about watching the TV these days but she is incredibly happy at Parmiter's! I hope your DC will be too.

(am interested to see other replies to this - now wonder if my DD is putting enough effort into her homework! :lol: )
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

It would be interesting to know the amount of homework given out at other schools too (in reality... rather than just info from the headteachers speech).

At Francis Combe the headteacher said during her speech that the children get on average about 7 hours of homework a week... which I had (naively) thought was the norm across all schools! :shock:

Alison
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I think my DS takes about an average of 1 - 1.5 hours per night, but usually tries to get it all done on the day it is given so that he doesn't have to do any at the week-end! He manages to fit in after school sports most nights and get homework done without too much stress. As other parents have said some of the projects have been very time consuming - particularly the island and the torah scroll, but as they are set over several weeks it seems to be pretty manageable really. All in all there has been less homework than I expected there to be.
Hope this helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now