Altrincham girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mums

Altrincham girls

Post by mums »

Wondered if anyone had heard of a subtle change in Alty girls catchment area? From reading their website it seems as if the catchment area is defined as an 8 mile radius from the school, is this true? Or do they still have the inner catchment area, which was always linked to the local schools? It seems as if admissions still go on proximity to the school, so don't know if this will actually change much anyway. It may have an effect, due to the sibling/no sibling at the school rule. Don't know if anyone knows anything about this, but I know in the past there was a 'definitive map' which there now seems to be no mention of. Many Thanks.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Hello and welcome!

I have a daughter in Y8 at Alty Girls and another one going into Y7 in September. When No 1 sat the exam (in 2006 for 2007 entry) the catchment area consisted of 3 concentric circles centred on the school and, basically, girls in the circle nearest school got in before girls in the next circle etc.

When No 2 took the exam (in 2008 for 2009 entry) the catchment consisted of one very large circle (taking in Knutsford, parts of Warrington, parts of Salford, Didsbury, Wilmslow and parts of Stockport) and again girls nearest school got in before girls further away.

It has now changed to the 8 mile radius which, I suspect, is not that different from last year's circle, just a bit more accurate since it is a definitve distance rather than someone arguing her house is this or that side of the line on a tiny map.

My interpretation of the change from No 1 daughter to No 2 daughter ( and to this year's 8 mile version) is that for a few years there will be a knock on effect on sisters being admitted and then the impact will be reduced. eg in No 1 daughter's class there is a girl from W Stockport who would have been in the outer concentric circle when she was admitted. Her sister will be starting in Y7 in September this year having got in on the new sibling rule before any of the girls living in the Altrincham area who don't have a sister already at the school. However, based on the fact that the elder Stockport sister got in in the first place from the outer circle I'm not sure that has as much of an impact as it does at first sight.

For what it's worth, my daughter's Y8 class is made up of 1/3 Altrincham girls, 1/3 Sale and Lymm girls and 1/3 girls from Wilmslow, Knutsford, Salford, Manchester, Didsbury, Stockport. That is representative of her year as a whole.
mums

Post by mums »

Hello, Thanks for your reply. Things seemed to have changed around quite a bit, but as you say its hard to figure out if its really had much effect on who gets priority. Son at Alty boys, but as I'm sure you know, things are a bit different there and there's no sibling rule.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I had to look up the boys' policy recently and was surprised at how different it was ie small priority catchment area which takes boys on distance regardless of score (as long they pass, of course!) and then boys outside priority catchment on the basis of highest score first even if they live at the South Pole. And no sibling preference due to the fact they select on that higher score basis for OOC boys.