Aspergers Syndrome & 11+

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lisnagree

Aspergers Syndrome & 11+

Post by lisnagree »

Is there any logical reason why my daughters school is recommending that she does not sit the 11+ even though they are predicting Level 5 in SATS? She has a statement and is very bright. I feel we might be bullied into withdrawing her. Any thoughts pls?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - if she is capable (and her NC levels indicate that she is) I see no reason for her not to cope at a GS.
lisnagree

Post by lisnagree »

Thanks for that - we had parents consultation last night and we were very shocked when it was suggested. We also have my daughters Year 5 Transition Review coming up and wondered if school wasn't happy about not naming a specific school on the statement (which we won't do until we know 11+ results).
chad

Post by chad »

There is no logical reason why a capable student with aspergers cannot take and pass the 11+. There should be no reason why they also shouldnt go on to do well at grammar. This does depend on the school, the SENCO and their knowledge of Aspergers. Have they given a reason why such a recommendation has been given?
lisnagree

Post by lisnagree »

They feel that she might not cope with the exam or the results if she doesn't pass. We started practising two months ago and believe the more familiar she is with the test the more relaxed she will be. She has been diagnosed with mild aspergers and although she can get anxious at times she has done remarkably well in the past three years as she entered Junior School at bottom of the class and has now passed out a lot of her classmates.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have been a GS SENCo and know pupils who have done well - it is not a barrier - you know your child best.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hi there,I agree with chad,there should be no reason at all why your daughter shouldn't take the exam with such good SATs predictions.
It makes me so cross that children with a 'difference' are treated unfairly.
My son who sat the 11plus last Sept has Tourettes,& I have a grown up son with Aspergers.
The advice I would offer is to check if she can have anything put into place which would make the exam better to sit. My son sat the exam in a building he was unfamiliar with,will your daughter sit the exam in her own school ? How does the primary school treat her during SATs/exams ? My son's primary offer him 'tic' breaks,to allow him to let off steam !
Ask,ask,ask ! Forewarned is forearmed.
Talk to the senco. If the school are stalling simply because they are worried about how she would cope with the exam,maybe she could sit alone. After all,you are willing to do your part with lots of preparation.
As you obviously know,familiarisation is crucial with Aspergers.
Go for it,nothing ventured,nothing gained.
Best wishes,Sallyj :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now