Appeal admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AppealingApple

Appeal admissions

Post by AppealingApple »

Hi All

I wonder if anyone has the answer to this question? Do schools have to retain back spaces for successful appeals and if so what the % is? I just heard that last year out of 88 appeals only 1 was successful in the school we were looking at. Why put a process in place for parents and pupils to appeal if there is not a percentage held back for this purpose?
Many Thanks
:roll:
toony

Post by toony »

No places are held back for appeals.

Appeal success rates vary wildly. In some areas it would seem lots of appeals are allowed, in others (like ours) virtually none.

The cynic in me says that it is the governments way of trying to make out you have a real say in where your child goes!

I'd still advise you to go for it. You never know, this year the appeals panel could be different and more lenient in their approach!
WP

Re: Appeal admissions

Post by WP »

AppealingApple wrote:I wonder if anyone has the answer to this question? Do schools have to retain back spaces for successful appeals and if so what the % is? I just heard that last year out of 88 appeals only 1 was successful in the school we were looking at. Why put a process in place for parents and pupils to appeal if there is not a percentage held back for this purpose?
No, all schools are explicitly forbidden (by the Admissions Code) to keep places empty pending appeals. Every successful appeal takes a school over capacity.
AppealingApple

Post by AppealingApple »

Thanks for the replies. We are going ahead regardless fingers,legs and everything else crossed.
Pinkboots

Re: Appeal admissions

Post by Pinkboots »

AppealingApple wrote:out of 88 appeals only 1 was successful
:shock: Wow! Which of the consortium schools is it?!

Good luck with your appeal - are you going down the maladminstration route? (if applicable). It seems that appeals are generally only successful in this area if the schools haven't applied the rules properly.
toony

Post by toony »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now