Travel to Kendrick from Bracknell

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumm

Post by mumm »

Hi MumHere
The clubs run every week and the girls are encouraged to attend whichever ones they are interested in ie hockey, netball, IT, DT, drama etc. We have not had a club cancelled since she started but we have found that theres always girls still around after school in the library etc waiting for lifts from parents who collect them on their way home from work. I have always encouraged my daughter to attend clubs with friends so she has someone she knows (but its not always that easy when they dont have the same interests!)
If you need any further info just ask away.
Mumm :lol:
MumHere

Post by MumHere »

Thanks mumm.

We are planning to take the train this friday when DD has her induction - just to get a feel of what it is going to be like in the coming months for her!

The school website mentions that it is a 10 minute walk from the station. I guess taking the 7.50am train from Bracknell (that reaches Reading at 8.10am) should give us sufficient time to walk to school. Or do you think we would be cutting too fine?

We are planning to follow the Kendrick girls from the station to the school, and I guess there would be quite a few girls taking the same train.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

MumHere wrote: The school website mentions that it is a 10 minute walk from the station. I guess taking the 7.50am train from Bracknell (that reaches Reading at 8.10am) should give us sufficient time to walk to school. Or do you think we would be cutting too fine?

We are planning to follow the Kendrick girls from the station to the school, and I guess there would be quite a few girls taking the same train.
Here is an interesting document I found a couple of weeks ago, Kendrick 2006 travel plan. Over 200 girls arriving by train, also gives right at the end some geographical breakdown
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=10212

Ten minutes should be fine. Just take care crossing the roads. :)

steve
ks

Post by ks »

Hi Mum Here

I'm told by the current year 12 that walk takes 12 minutes and by current Year 7 that it takes 20 minutes. I guess it depends on the level of chatting etc.

For Friday the train you are catching should be fine as girls only need to arrive between 0830 and 0850. For a normal schoolday (0825) it will be fairly tight, but I would try it on Friday and see how many girls are still walking to school. Many will already have arrived by then. From the Slough direction most girls seem to catch the train arriving at 0753, partly so that if they miss it there is a backup (arriving 0811). Apparently a few even come on the train before.
MortimerM

Post by MortimerM »

Hi Mum Here,
I think that an adult can walk to Kendrick from the station in 10 minutes, a younger child walking and chatting to friends could well take longer!! I would say that it would take at least 15 minutes.

Good luck for Friday. DS has his induction at Reading School next Tuesday. :)
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

MortimerM wrote: Good luck for Friday. DS has his induction at Reading School next Tuesday. :)
Good Gosh, had completely forgotten MortimerM :oops:

Been busy sorting out DS going away this Friday on school PGL trip. Back Monday and then obviously straight in to induction following day.
mumm

Post by mumm »

Hi Mum Here
The girls all catch the 7.20 from Bracknell then they have plenty of time to dawdle on the way to school!!!
This is the train you should be aiming for your DD to catch in September. For this Friday it will be too early but to get a true experience and
follow the girls into school you may want to catch it anyway and
stop off for a coffee and pep talk on the way in??
Im sure she will have a great day and come home all set for her new school in Sept.
Mumm :D
MumHere

Post by MumHere »

Thank you everyone for the information and helpful tips.

Looks like we will be catching the 7.20 train after all, as DD is keen to do it the way she will be doing from September. So there will be plenty of coffee and pep talk on the way in :)

Good luck to everyone for friday and tuesday!!

MumHere
UbbiDubbi

Just a suggestion..........

Post by UbbiDubbi »

Been reading up on below as my daughter is hopefully joining next year, with the current climate there must be someone sitting at home looking for a job? if you can, perhaps invest in a twelve seater mini buss which can collect children from a door/meeting point and take them to school and then collect accordingly? I have seen this work in other counties, some of my friends use such service. Just an idea guys and I know parents would rather pay that little extra for safety of their kids............
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now