Moving back to Medway

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scotsgirl

Moving back to Medway

Post by scotsgirl »

Hi
My daughter passed the 11+ in Oct 2008. We then had to relocate abroad for my husbands job, we will return early 2011. We were told by previous headmistress that she would go straight into a Grammar school on our return. Then Medway council told us she would be retested when we return, to see which school would be suitable.
Does anybody know which is correct? Incidently the school she is at out here is of Grammar school standard and has just had an excellent OFSTED report.

Would be grateful for any input.
Thanks.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I don't know for sure but I would be very surprised if they admitted your child without testing again. When I looked around a GS during an open day, one of the girls (year 9) told me she had passed the 11+ but had moved to Spain with her parents before she started the school, she has now returned to Kent in year 9 but was asked to come into school and sit a test before re-entry.
This should not be a problem for you as your dd has passed her 11+, so is at a good academic standard now, plus if the school you are putting her into is very good, she should be able to pass the test on your return.
Good luck with the move. :)
scotsgirl

Post by scotsgirl »

Hi
Thanks for the prompt reply. I had a feeling that would be the case. Really was hoping not to have to put her through another test but never mind. I'm sure she will be ok. She does worry a lot, always worried before assessment week and is now worrying about SATS. Will try and forget about retesting as it's not for 2 years. Thanks again.
scotsgirl

Allocation places

Post by scotsgirl »

Hi all
Just thought I would share this with you. DD passed 11+ Oct 2008. We moved abroad Jan 2009 for what should be 4 years(was 2) We returned for the summer to discover a letter that had been sent to our house here, telling us that our daughter had not been fortunate enough to get a place at her chosen school but had been allocated a place at another school on her list. This wouldn't be be too bad but as we hadn't filled in a preference form as we knew we were moving, how on earth did they get this info? When my husband rang the council they said they had no record of the letter and not to worry about it. My worry is how many people have lost a place in a chosen school because the council make these sort of mistakes?
Good luck to all those starting at secondary school this September. I'm off abroad again where my DD is very happy at a school we did apply for!!!!
scotsgirl

Returning to Medway - help would be appreciated

Post by scotsgirl »

Hello All
We live abroad(husbands job) and are wondering when would be best to return to England. Our eldest child passed the 11+ in Oct 2008 but we moved abroad not long after. We have tried unsuccessfully to get an answer from Medway Education Authority about the following: Would it be better for us to return at the end of out DD's year 8 or year 9 ? We ask because we have been told that if we wait til the end of year 9 she would quite possibly miss out on her options choices and would have to take what is left! Does anybody out there have the answer. Would be grateful for any input. x
emmajane1

re options

Post by emmajane1 »

Hi,
Many Medway grammar schools have an accelerated curriculum - certainly both all girls schools do. The girls choose options at the end of year8 & begin them in year 9. Thus if you returned at the end of year 9 the other girls would be 1/2 way thru their GCSES.

Hth & good luck
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I was thinking about the accelerated stages too - some schools are finishing KS3 at the end of year 8 and starting GCSE courses - it would be more difficult to move into the school in year 10 I think if this was the case
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Just to clarify, Rochester and Fort Pitt year 8 girls have already submitted their options choices last term. They will start the GCSE courses in September (year 9).
scotsgirl

Post by scotsgirl »

Hi All

Thankyou for the replies. We were afraid this would be the case. Not really sure what to do now! She really is too bright not to go to a Grammar school. Our own fault, we never thought of accelerated learning and options years, it kind of got overlooked in the move away. Oh well, some serious thinking to be done. Thanks again.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I can give you my own personal opinion Scotsgirl...

I would return at the end of year 8 as your DD can begin the GCSE courses in Sep 2010 (beginning of year 9). I really wouldn't worry too much about her choices as they are pretty limited on their options anyway. It would just be a case of finding out if she can get on the preferred language course/humanity course. Because of this accelerated learning, there should be a chance in year 11 to take up a GCSE course for a year so potentially if there was a subject she didn't get you could ask for it then?

If you return at the end of year 9 then all the students would be half way through their GCSE courses.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now