Percentiles for Wirral schools

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Frederick

Percentiles for Wirral schools

Post by Frederick »

Hi we have been on the Forum concerning an Educational Report we have. We understand from Etienne that nationally it seems that grammar schools require a child to be in the 90th percentile (according to our report our child is in the 87th).
Does anyone know or know where we can find out what the 2 GS in Wirral require (Calday and Wirral GS). Will the LEA (for Wirral Grammar) or Calday Head tell us?
Thanks
Frederick
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi, I don't think the 90th percentile ( i.e. in the top 10% nationally) will be stated anywhere officially. I think however it is Etienne's considered opinion and considerable experience that it is this level of consistent academic performance which swings it for some panels.
In our area, the GS state that they want to take the top 28% of pupils in the cohort, and I wouldn't mind betting that you'll find a similar figure in the Wirral also. However, you need to show that your DC performs higher than this in an appeal, as the argument will be put forward that your stats are standardised against the whole nation of 11 year olds and not the local cohort (who tend to do better in GS areas.)
Have just had a look at secondary education in wirral and couldn'y find a percentage mentioned there. Perhaps you could post on the wirral forum of this site?
All the best
Bougalou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now