RGS Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rog

RGS Grammar

Post by rog »

MY son has passed the Bucks exam . He got 129 and 124. Would like him to go to Royal Grammar but are out of catchment. Currently live in Langley, Berks. What are the chances of securing a place. Suppoising if we move to High Wycombe between March and August 2007, will that increase the chances . please advise...............
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rog

RGS was undersubscribed last year, due to a lower overall cohort and was inviting deserving candidates (presumably 11+ near misses) to take their own entrance exam in late August to fill the spaces. (They can do this, as they are a foundation school.)

As the cohort for this year remains very similar to last year it is entirely possible that you will be offered a place, despite being out of catchment. For more information take a look at this Forum thread, and the original thread (link to that is in the first post):

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=764

Sally-Anne
Road Runner

Post by Road Runner »

I Rog

Yes my son attends JHG and we heard about the RGS doing thier own test, by all accounts both them and JHG were undersubscribed so you will probably be ok anyway.

MelX
Rog

Post by Rog »

Is it true that this years pass rate is lower then last year. Therefore there is a good chance that my son will be able to secure a place at RGS, since we live outside catchment area.

RGS

Post by Guest »

Hi Rog

From what I have read here and heard elsewhere, you could be right about less children passing. I am guessing you really have your heart set on RGS, does your son have friends going there or do you know it? I think you will be ok as last year they did admit outside of catchment but why don't you give them a call. I called JHG last year and they were really helpful. They maybe able to tell you how many they are expecting and what your chances really are.

Nothing ventured eh?

MelX
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Schools are not told who is allocated to them until March 1st - the whole process is handled by the LA. Therefore there is no point in telephoning the school - also until places are accepted final numbers aren't clear.
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Rog, how would you get him to school from Langley? Seems a long trek, and what about making friends locally?

JuliaB
Rog

Post by Rog »

My son did excellent in the Berks . He achieved 136.
marhs 141, nvr 141, vr 125
Do you think the Beks results will carry any weight in securing a place at RGS, bearing in mind that we are out of the catchment area.
His BUCKS score was 129. Please advise.
Jed

Post by Jed »

ROG

Berks score not really relevant. Bucks take on sibling, distance criteria only - NOT 11+ plus score (provided 121+).

You can only wait and see in March.

Jed
hugh

Post by hugh »

However, under current rules a pass is a pass and how "good" a pass it is no longer has any relevance for allocation.

If there are any places left for out of catchment children it is purely down to who lives closest.

Incidentally, you don't get extra credit for putting it first, it just means that your child's application will be considered by your first choice school before any other school. If they offer him a place, that's it; if they don't have a place, it gets passed to your second choice school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now