Summer revision courses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firsttimermum

Summer revision courses

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi! I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any good summer schools which run during the holidays. I want to send my DS to a good one to kind of revise over work, covered so far as I am concerned he won't be doing much work at home. Has anybody used one or know of one which is good? Preferabaly one that lasts about 4 weeks, so we can cram in a short holiday also. :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

My immediate reaction is to ask "Do you think that's wise?". I can't speak for anyone else's children but ours always need their breaks between terms, they get distinctly tired and grouchy towards the end of term.

Is there a specific reason why you're concerned about him not working over the summer? What stage is he at?

Mike
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi! thanks for replying, I agree with what you're saying, however we do have a holiday planned in the summer. I think he would reallyt benefit from an intense revision course as hopefully he will almost be prepared for the tests in Oct/november time.

We do make sure they have plenty of rest and breaks but I think he does need to put in alittle time revising just these holidays.

You see I always think they always need to start again and forget a lot of work over the summer holidays.

Do you know of any, even a 2 week course, just so he stays on track.
jah

Post by jah »

I would suggest getting a set of year 6 workbooks, and encouraging plenty of reading. This means that you have to put time in marking his work, but then you will get a clearer picture of how he's getting on. I don't see how anyone who doesn't already know him can do much good for him in 2 weeks. The work set could be completely the wrong level.

Best book him up for a sports camp, or a drama week if you need the child care.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Thanks for replying, I wanted to send him because I think it will be a good revision session, as different people will have a different approach to the same problem. It is highly recommended that the best preperation for your child is to cover as many DIFFERENT types of questions and papers as possible, instead of parrot fashion learning everything.

I myself have attended KE CHG and therefore do have experience of it, and do not want send him just so I can get child care!!

I want the best for my child and try to provide him with the best education I can as I know how valuable a grammar school education is.
In the future I would appreciate people not make such comments.

Kind regards
FTM
jah

Post by jah »

I was making a serious point. I have 1 child at a KE grammar, 1 who didn't get in, and one who didn't want to try. I also went to a grammar school myself in another part of the country.

I thought as a "First time Mum" you were looking for the voice of experience.

Thank you for the slap in the face.
Logging off. I don't think I'll be looking in again.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm afraid that this is a public forum and people are entitled to hold and express their opinions, however little to your taste they may be. If you don't want to hear things you don't like you need to stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la". That always works for me.

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

To Firsttimermum,

I tutor for grammar school and I like my pupils to do some work over the summer holidays or they do lose ground--a surprising amount sometimes.

I am not sure, however, that summer school is the answer. The trouble with tuition groups is that they tend to take a blanket approach which means all children in the group end up doing the same thing which may not be appropriate for some children.

I think the other posters feel you would do a better job working with your child yourself rather than trusting him to a summer school which doesn't really know him.

While I rarely see my pupils more than 2 times in the summer, I always give them a work programme (more vital for some than others) based on the particular child and what they need to practise. I don't think, however, a summer school would increase their chances and, believe me, I would recommend it if I thought it would.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi fm and all the other posters who have replied. Thankyou all for replying and your advice. I didn't mean to be rude or give anyone a slap in the face and really DO appreciate everyone taking time out to reply as I know how busy we all are as parents. You see I just got a little defensive because I thought people doubted my intention for my child. Anyway my bad if anybody was offended..I 'm sorry!

You're right about children forgetting in the summer thats exactly what Imeant, the reason I thought a summer course even a short one for a couple of days was good because as I said I am very new to this and a lot of teachers and parents have a lot more experience than I do

Ofcourse I personally intend to spend time with him over the summer so we can keep on top of his work aswell as play.

Kind regards,
FTM
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I don't think anyone doubts your intentions to do your best for your children. As always, the difficult part is undestanding what the best thing is at any given moment - in the certainty that some people will always tell you you're doing it wrong!

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now