appeal (bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
njg

appeal (bucks)

Post by njg »

Well i've put everything in an envelope and sealed it - agh!
Headteachers report not due till Weds/Thurs which cuts it a bit fine so have indicated that it will follow. Our school waits for this weeks NFER results until they give out the headteacher summary. We have however seen the summary without the results and its ok. 3/1 which will be disputed by teachers but everything else looks alright.
I remember last year that they didn't even look at the school work so i don't think we'll bother with that. Not sure if certificates are that relevent either. Our letter was much too emotional last year on reflection - this year it just states facts. They really aren't swayed by the fact that you think that your child is suitable, they know you think that or you wouldn't be appealing.
I'm sure we'll spend the next week thinking ' we should have said that or should have written that.......', but so long as you jot things down you can bring them up at the actual appeal.
Not sure if i'm ready to go to the post box yet!
Ana Maria

Post by Ana Maria »

I know exactly how you feel!
I too am ready with my forms and have been promised the Heads Summary sheet by Wednesday. I will wait and send the whole lot off by registered post I think.
I totally agreee with you too on the content of the letter to the panel. I went through this 2 years ago and was way too emotional and it did not get my daughter to grammar school.
I know and understand much more about the appeal system (thanks to this site) this time round and feel the same as you - the academic facts speak for themselves (I hope!).
Good Luck to you for your appeal.
Ana
Ana Maria

Appeal

Post by Ana Maria »

I know exactly how you feel!
I too am ready with my forms and have been promised the Heads Summary sheet by Wednesday. I will wait and send the whole lot off by registered post I think.
I totally agreee with you too on the content of the letter to the panel. I went through this 2 years ago and was way too emotional and it did not get my daughter to grammar school.
I know and understand much more about the appeal system (thanks to this site) this time round and feel the same as you - the academic facts speak for themselves (I hope!).
Good Luck to you for your appeal.
Ana
dissapointed mum

Post by dissapointed mum »

Hello to all that are posting off those dreaded envelopes!
Yep Ive done it, its gone and on its way. I keep thinking Ive left something out of the envelope, or left something in I shouldnt have. AAArrgghh this is driving me mad!
Well best of luck to all, heres to a very peaceful and happy Christmas, and a promising new year! Dont forget to put your little wish in the mail to Santa!.
All the very best of luck to all.
Dissapointed mum
P.s. Ana Maria, when you say you were too emotional last time, was that too emotional at the appeal, or was your letter of appeal too emotional.?
Ana Maria

Post by Ana Maria »

Hello

The letter I wrote to the Appeal panel was too long winded and told a long complicated story of some troubles my daughter was having at school at the time she took 11+. I have been looking at all the paperwork involved with her case and to be honest it was all a shambles - no wonder the appeal was unsuccessful! However she is really happy and doing well at Upper school so it worked out in the end.
I also was very nervous at the appeal and probably came across very desperate and ended up waffling my way through it. My voice broke at the end of my speech so I then thought it best to stop! Nightmare.
This time I feel more in control of the whole thing and have kept just to the facts which luckily are strong academically. I just need to hold my nerve in front of the panel now!
Let's all forget about it for now and enjoy the Christmas break away from 11+ stresses.
Here's to lots of happy faces in the New Year!
Ana
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh Ana Maria!!

I know just how you feel. :( I did exactly the same thing - a waffly case, over-emotional letter, hunting for feeble mitigating circumstances, shaking with nerves during the hearing, nearly burst into tears...

Most frustrating of all, if I had only dug a little deeper for academic evidence, it was all there in dollops.

If only I had known then what I know now, not only about how to present a case, but how there is life afterwards for me and my son!

Not everyone will win their appeal, but if you follow the advice on this forum, especially from Etienne, you really will have a better chance. And when nerves and high emotion threaten to take over please remember, this is not a matter of life or death. As someone said to me last year on this forum, wherever your child ends up at school, "Cream will always rise to the Top".

Sally-Anne
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hi All

We have too sealed and posted the envelope this morning. We attached the headteachers recommendation form. The form states 1 - attitude and 2 for ability. She has predicted all level 5's for sats but has not specified. Along with the appeal we have attached our letter and also some academic certificates along with 3 years of 100% attendance certificates.

Have we added too much? Initially we thought of just concentrating on the academics and the 2 x 120 our son got for the bucks 11+, although we have kept our letter to one side of A4, I now feel maybe we didnt really need to add all the certificates.

Any comments welcome.

Suki
Jed

Post by Jed »

Suki

Don't torture yourself over something you've already posted. It looks like you have a marvellous case and have taken great care to present it well.

Even if the attendance certificates don't help the appeal, I'm pretty sure they won't harm it.

Good luck

Jed
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hello Jed

Thank you for your kind and reassuring words. You are right, even if the attendance certificates do not help the case they will not have a negative affect. We need to look forward to the appeal date and put our case forward as positively as possible.

Thanks again

Suki
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

I've collated most of my information for the appeal, it has taken me ages!! However I am being tight-fisted about paying out for an Ed Psych report until I have the Berks result!! I have taken Friday off to either celebrate or drive to Aylesbury.....

JuliaB
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now