How bright is your CRGS son?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

How bright is your CRGS son?

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If anyone feels they can be honest and brave enough I would love to know just how bright the boys who got into CRGS are and how much tutoring was really needed. I'm only asking to see if their is any point applying if it will be too compettive or if my son will be one of the strongest candidates. The only info I have on my son is his IQ number so if anyone would be willing to state their kids IQ (if known) then it may give me an insight into how bright you really need to be. Or as I mentioned, how much tutoring they needed to do.

FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

Mine's thick as sh*te

Not really, I don't have a CRGS boy.. but is the 'only info' you have about your son's ability really his IQ? I have no idea of my children's IQ! And I'm not sure how helpful such info would be anyway, my experience of IQ tests being mainly limited to facebook quizzes (which never seem to recognise my genius). Can you not ask his school how they think he'd do?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

" Thick as *****"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You make me :D flighty Rachel.You must be moving on up that KEGS list :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well he is doing very well at school, but apparently that counts for very little when applying to CRGS as the applicants are all doing well at school! :?
KB

Post by KB »

Not sure that IQ itself is much help - except that any presumably anything you need to teach them will be picked more quickly!
Best bet would be to get hold of past papers from CSSE & see how he gets on with them without any coaching. You can see from other threads what marks other boys were scoring on the papers to get a place st CRGS. Remember that it does vary from year to year & apparently children drop average of 10% points in the 'real thing'.
If he gets over 90% then would suggest you dont need to do too much. English - need to make sure has grasp of basic punctuation - especially speech & needs a wide 'traditoinal' vocab (probably covered at a good prep anyway)
Maths - would imagine will be fine. Just check OK with problem solving as some preps aren't so strong on this.
VR - very much a matter of technique. Some children take to it naturally but if he is bright shouldn't take too much to explain the techniques needed for different types of questions that he doesn't 'get' immediately.
Really important that he can use multiple choice answer paper for VR & has technique to answer as many questions as possible.
Weighting system means VR twice as important as maths or english.
Hope this helps a bit :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks KB, this is very helpful. I am going to purchase the papers from CSSE and let him try them in the summer holidays but thats all I'm prepared to do. If he scores poorly on the practice papers then I won't enter him.
KB

Post by KB »

Hi Tipsy
Used to be that CSSE only had one sample paper for VR (several for Maths & English) so depending how much you want to try you might need to get some other papers that are similar (although the actual papers tend to be harder!)
Have fun!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

KB wrote:Have fun!!
Mmmmm.........
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Don't know if this is any help, but probably need to be level 5 in KS2 Sats in all subjects. Although, there will be lots of kids with level 5's who don't get in. What I'm trying to say is that if your child is potentially a level 4 in English and Maths, it is probably less likely that they would get into grammar. I realise that you will want to make a decision before you know your child's ks2 sats results, but your school should give you an indication of how they expect him to do. Also, your school may test every year in KS2, and these results may also be indicative, if your child is reaching level 4 or 5 before reaching year 6.

Teachers at my school said that 11+ maths is about Sats level 5. I think the 11+ English is significantly harder than Sats level 5. Verbal reasoning is not taught at all in state primaries in my experience and this is critical for grammar school entry. Like others said, get some books. Your child needs to be getting above 85% regularly in the verbal reasoning to be in with a chance. It's also true that some kids may drop about 10 % on the day, (both mine did). Good luck.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Debbie. DS school don't sit SATS so o info there hence I asked about IQ. Maths won't be a problem (famous last words!) so I will take your advice and get him the VR'S. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now