Maths paper for girls in Plymouth?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Saltash Mum 30

Maths paper for girls in Plymouth?

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

I have heard that a maths paper may be introduced as part of the girls papers next January. Has anyone else heard this too or have any further information?
Mad Mum

Maths Papers for girls

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi, yes I had heard those rumours too. My daughter's tutor mentioned them but she phoned the LEA and they didn't shed any light on it (typically!) Apparently PHS were looking at it but she doesnt think it will happen this year or, if it does, it isn't public knowledge yet. Her source is a PHS governor.

So, short answer is we don't know yet but possibly not this year.
Let me know if you hear anything else because I and a couple of my friends would like to know!

Also, have you entered your daughter for the 11+ Mock at DHS Boys in September as this will have much more maths in it?
Saltash Mum 30

Maths paper IS on the agenda for girls

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

The 11+ procedure for girls has changed and a maths paper is now on the agenda - see Plymouth Council website. At least we've had a bit of notice!
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi Saltash Mum, yes thanks after all that speculation we now know that the 11+ for girls will be along similar lines as the boys. Is your daughter sitting the boys mock? How are you handling the schools admission form for Plymouth? Its very disheartening to see that if my daughter fails her 11+ she will not get her 2nd preference of school. We're feeling very caught between a rock and a hard place as although we hope and pray she will pass, what if she doesn't? The prospect of our local comp. does not appeal! :?
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Mad Mum

We feel exactly the same, stressed about the whole situation, as do friends of ours. We believe our daughter has the ability but if she doesn't perform on the day what do we do next? The headmistress of the local comp told us at an open evening that any parents not putting her school as a first preference will not get a place!

Wouldn't it be a huge help to all of us if the 11+ could be taken over say the summer holidays and a place offered, or not, before the October deadline looms...

Yes we are now doing the mock at DHSB, fingers crossed for all of them.

Are you going to the upcoming open evenings at PHSG and DHSG?

In Cornwall our applications have to be routed through Cornwall County Council but we can at least put them in online and not sit fretting that it's gone astray in the post!!
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

It makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one stressing about the whole 11+ issue. A friends tutor told her that she has had three pupils drop out of taking the 11+ since it was announced that it would include a maths paper. I wonder how many others will be put off?

I went to the PHS open evening before the summer holidays but may go again just to give my daughter another taste of what she's working for! Its hard to keep sight of your goal when you're ploughing through sheets of homework! And we may go to DHS to get a comparison of the two. I think our first choice will be PHS as it is closer.

Anyway, wishing you all good luck with the 11+ !
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Mad Mum

I haven't heard of anyone dropping out because of the introduction of the maths paper though it's interesting that you have as I am aware it's caused a lot of angst among the girls in my daughter's tutor group.

Have you started extra maths tuition or is your daughter confident with maths?

The whole 11+ issue appears to be one of 'you take your chances'... I may well have to increase my working hours next year to pay for Plymouth College since I can see no viable alternative at the moment if we are not successful.

We are leaning towards Devonport High at present though I am holding off making any applications until my daughter has had chance to look round the school properly.

Good Luck to you too and anyone else reading this, as mothers we must be mad to go through this but I hope it works out well for everyone who goes for it!
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi Saltash Mum,

What did your daughter think of the DHSB mock 11+ paper? Our daughter actually found the verbal reasoning harder than the Maths believe it or not! Her scores were pretty equal for both and she did manage to 'pass', all be it by a few marks. I am not being put off though and consider that seeing it was one of the first timed tests she had done, and that she has 2.5 months left to go, it wasn't a half bad attempt. I think keeping positive is the key and showing your child that you have 100% faith in their ability is really really important.

A friend's daughter just came under the pass mark for the mock and because her mum started to doubt her ability, so did she and now she's not taking it.

I may be being fool hardy but its a risk Im prepared to take!

What have been your experiences? Don't be shy everyone lets get some feedback - I am finding it very helpful reading your comments!
the marston

Post by the marston »

hi.
you mention a pass mark for the mock. can you tell me what that was and where you got the info.
we just got a score for each of the tests.
many thanks
Nige
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi Nige, Sorry I haven't got the results paper with me at the moment (am at work typing this) but from memory it had marks for Maths and Verbal Reasoning and then a combined score which I think was age-modified. To the right hand of the score sheet were some figures which indicated that the Pass Mark for the mock was 65 I believe. (please correct me if Im wrong anyone who reads this). I think it did say though that the pass mark was for the boys taking the mock.

I will have a look at the sheet later and get back to you if I have just told you a load of porkies!

Did your son/daughter take the mock at DHSB?