Mock exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ermintrude

Mock exams

Post by ermintrude »

Could anyone advise me where to find details of mock exams being held in Trafford? I am tutoring our daughter myself and heard from a neighbour that there is one at North Cestrian this weekend which we have obviously missed, but I'm sure there must be others.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Ermintrude

Firstly Welcome to the forum.

Although I am not from your area, I would point out that there are various 'mock' exams held around the country, some of which are very dubious.

Please ensure that the exam being used is applicable to your area. Also ensure that if for example your area uses the 21 types for VR that the exam being offered is covering those types and not others.

I know of one company that offers these mock exams, which gets the child to sit VR , NVR , Maths and Englsh, when in fact that area ONLY uses VR. This company then gives feed back on all disciplines, encouraging the parent to enrol for tution [ teachinfg all 4 exams...]

Of course, the one in your area, may be totally legitimate. I guess, I am just saying, please do some research before you enter your child.

Patricia
ermintrude

Post by ermintrude »

Many thanks for the good advice Patricia :D

Anyone local out there? I'm a great believer that you can find anything via google but I don't seem to be able to find mock 11+ exams in Trafford!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Patricia gives excellent advice but, to be fair, the mock this weekend at North Cestrian appears to be well thought out and relevant to the Trafford exams that test Maths, VR and NVR.

As far as I am aware (one daughter at AGGS and a second going in September this year) this *real* experience is the first one of its kind in Trafford. I think it has immense value in terms of showing the kids exactly what they have to expect in terms of how long the whole thing takes and the format, although I have reservations as to how early it is being held since, from my own point of view, I wasn't doing NFER tests with my daughters in April but kept them until later on. I worry that exposing the kids to NFER level stuff this early on may cause a lot of stress.

I am aware of mocks held by a local tutoring agency (which gives priority to its own tutees but also has spaces for non-tutees). If you want details please PM me, ermintrude. These usually take place later on in the summer and are spread over a weekend with a teaching session for each subject followed by a mock exam in each.

Other than that I know that individual tutors hold mocks for their own pupils.

A friend and I swapped kids so that we could administer a mock exam morning. We got our other halves to remove all other children, dogs, cats and goldfish from our houses and then I took her son and she took my daughter and we sat them at our respective dining room tables and gave them 3 papers that we'd kept back from the normal revision process along with short breaks. That worked quite well, although you obviously can't compensate for a classroom full of total strangers.
ermintrude

Post by ermintrude »

Thanks TraffordMum that's really helpful. It's a shame we missed the one this weekend, I guess that comes of us not having a professional tutor - it is all so clandestine at school, no-one speaks about 'it' at all, puts me in mind of Voldemort! As someone who grew up in a region without secondary selection I'm finding the whole thing fascinating.

It's that concept of concentrating for a whole morning that that my 10 year old is going to stuggle with but I will pm you (just going to work out how to do that now!) for the details you mentioned.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I know what you mean about the secrecy in the playground. Drives me mad, especially for the few parents each year who have no idea that tutoring is such big business and whose kids miss the passmark by one or two points.

For the North Cestrian-held sessions this weekend just gone I believe that flyers were sent to all the primaries a few weeks back and the heads presumably decided whether or not to send them out in bookbags. Certainly, the two children I know of who attended received the info by way of bookbag (2 separate schools).

I shall go and read my pm now :D
overworked

Grammar school entrance papers

Post by overworked »

Hi ermintrude.
I used the Kip McGrath centre in Timperley last year for my son, as they not only get the children to sit the papers but also tutor them and go through the papers after they've sat them.
The lady who runs the centre also currently teaches at Loreto and is very up to date on all the exams.
The children sit the exams which are only relevant to them.
So my son sat the English test rather than NVR, as we wanted Ambrose.
The course was very popular so I'd be quick.
By the way we didn't have to be enrolled at the centre, but in hindsite wish we had been.
charlie10

Post by charlie10 »

I too having been looking for information on the next 11+ mock exam to be held at North Cestrian. We appear to have just missed one. Can anyone advise the date and how you register.
ermintrude

Post by ermintrude »

Hi charlie10

Don't know of any more being held at North Ces but have now got info on a few other options in the area - will pm you the details.
TIDDLYMUM

Mock Exams

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi Ermintrude

could you PM me the details as well please, if you could?

The North Ces exam was te worlds best kept secret! I looked on the internet but couldn't find anything!!!!

thanks, hope you don't mind me asking!!!!

Julie
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now