GCSE Economics

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blessed

GCSE Economics

Post by Blessed »

My son is considering taking GCSE Economics but it is offered as a half GCSE initially. For students that make pleasing progress and show a command of the subject, the school could enter them for full GCSE.

Please, I need any views on either taking a full or half GCSE in Economics.

Thanks
lion63

Post by lion63 »

The way your son's school is allowing the pupils to 'test' the waters with Economics as a GCSE subject choice makes sense. However, it depends on how many subjects they are choosing as a total.

Compulsory subjects and options may add up to a total of 10 full GCSEs and 2 or 3 half GCSEs. So if a pupil starts off with 13 subjects, he may well end up with 10 full GCSEs and 3 halfs or various combinations of fulls and halfs.

Economics, in itself, is not difficult; it requires reading and application but if your son is interested , he may well be able to stretch himself ably and be offered the full course at his school.

The only disadvantage I see with this style of choosing a subject is that after a year of studying the subject and preparing for it (sometimes involving coursework), a pupil might be asked to drop it completely (e.g. Physical Education) if the school deems that the pupil is not suited to the subject/ showing enough aptitude - all the time studying is wasted if not allowed to progress to half or full GCSEs.

So I would check with your son's school how they will proceed if a pupil is not showing command of the subject. If he can ill-afford fewer GCSEs at the end of the day, he may want to choose something else that he knows he can carry on to the finish.
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

Thanks a lot for your reply. It's been very useful and informative.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now