First Exam done

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newbie but stressed

First Exam done

Post by newbie but stressed »

Daughter has just done the first test and confirmed it was pretty difficult.

So I'm fearing the worst.

hopefully next paper she can make up.

a very Newbie but stressed
slowstick

Difficult first paper

Post by slowstick »

My daughter also took her first 11 plus paper this week. She said some questions were difficult too.
Above all, we must give them praise for all their hard work and think positive!
I wish your daughter luck.
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

Yes we must,

I told her it's only half time and she can make it up next paper.

I think the problem was timing the exam and she had to rush the last few questions with no time to check over.

yet she comes home and finishes her test papers in 40 Minutes!!! always the way.

NBS
hsthst

Second exam tomorrow

Post by hsthst »

All fingers crossed for tomorrow but my daughter said the first exam was medium, not too difficult. I put that down to her school; Higher bebington Junior and our work together. At the end of the day as long as they have done their best, thats all that matters. No point in prepping them so much that they will struggle in grammar school because they don't have natural ability. Anyway........good luck to all the children tomorrow

Post by Guest »

Eleven plus tests are not a good way of showing natural ability. Just being good at a Verbal Reasoning test.

Grammar places should be given offered by LEA based on total performance at school, school reports, sats. Or further tests taken each year based on school curriculum.

It's a cruel way unfortunately we want the best and have to do it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Guest

One of the problems with "self-opinion" is that it does not come attached with factual information nor the benefit of extensive research.

NFER who set the tests would lead us to believe that verbal reasoning tests are one of the key indicators of future potential and irrespective of the amount of tuition a child receives in preparation for the tests it will not significantly affect their achievements later on in academic life. They can provide you with a plethora of data that supports their argument.

LEAs tend to believe research from a "respected" organisation within the field of educational research and set their tests accordingly. In Wirral's case they choose the two VR paper option, with an aggregate score determining the pass mark.

Wirral is not a "selective" LEA, parents can choose whether they sit the 11+ or not based on their own feelings or on advice given by teaching staff based on a child's overall performance. As an example, some schools on the Wirral put no children forward for the 11+ tests.

The "total performance" and school reports would, or should, have therefore been taken into account when deciding whether the child should sit the test. Unfortunately year six SATs do not take place until May and the results are not available until later on in the academic year, which is too late for the high schools and grammar schools to administer their intake.

The results of the 11+ on the Wirral are given to the headteachers of the primary schools in January. They then have until March to give recommendations to the LEA, before the offer letters are sent out.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

Hi Mike,

thanks for your reply. I appreciate your opinion. We all have our opinions of Eleven plus, and I stand by mine.

Particulary basing childs ability on a single VR (Tutored) in most cases exam.

I have two children one was tutored for eleven plus and passed 2003. The first child was also tutored but is very nervous during exams and missed the pass mark. So I have seen it both sides.

The difference between one passing and another not getting the mark was nerves (and quality of tutor which we changed) , also how we tackled timing of the exam, not ability. The second tutor really pushed my daughter which we worried about at first but now see it was a benefit.

If I would have put my mortgage on which one passed it would have been complete the reverse. Even to this day she is far more talented, my other daughter being very sporty and wants to join the Army.

I respect NFER tests but that's all they are. A Test.. Get a good Tutor , do the work, keep your nerves and your almost there...
Mike

Mike Edwards

Post by Mike »

Hi Guest

The Wirral 11+ is not a single test. The children sit two verbal reasoning papers and the mark is an aggregate score that is standardised. It is a single subject test.

As far as I am aware all LEAs who have selection tests use verbal reasoning tests, most of them written by NFER. This also applies to independent school common entrance tests. So there must be more to the process than "it is just a test". In the vast majority of cases the performance of the child in the VR test is supposed to reflect future potential.

So, although some people can make general statements about individual cases that go against the norm, these do not represent the majority of cases. The vast majority of children who pass the 11+, under any format, obviously have the ability to perform at a high academic level based on the statistics provided in school perfomance tables.

Regards

Mike

Post by Guest »

>> It is a single subject test.

apologies this is what I meant. If the test included NON VR, Standard Comprehension, Standard Maths tests then I think NFER/LEA may have a argument.

A single subject VR exam can be tutored for success. When the child gets to the grammar school and struggles with the "Normal" Curriculum it's another story. But this VR test can be tutored for success, if you know what to expect, how to plan and time the test, and get plenty of practice.
Even if the child is below what is deemed "Natural Ability".

Post by Guest »

I'm also sure if we never had our Tutors , Practice papers, 11+ clubs etc etc.

The "Failure" rate would be far higher.. And we would see far more kids with potential , being considered as not "Natural Ability"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now