PHSE & Drug Education in Secondary School

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

PHSE & Drug Education in Secondary School

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

My problem with PSCHE (or whatever its called) is that it is very difficult for parents to screen what is going to be taught. One of my friends brought home a booklet about se x with graphic words which are totally unnecessary and the section on homosexuality (I am not homophobic) explicity explained what certain things were. I am not talking about the obvious but rather the less obvious and medically dangerous act of using a clenched hand! :shock: Why does a 14 year old need to know that? So some parents don't teach their kids a thing but I got a whole new education when I read that booklet and I didn't need to know about ANY of it! :evil:

Sorry if I'm being graphic but I'm trying to make the point that do you really know what they are being taught?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Well you certainly know what they are being taught when they come home and teach it to you... :lol:
On a serious note, I agree it is a tad scary, your children being taught these things, can sometimes seem quite brutal. However, I am of the mind that I need to just take a deep breath and deal with the situation. I can't cocoon them as much as it is tempting, I want to provide them with the tools (respect, knowledge, self-worth) that they need to survive in this world we live in.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Goodness!Tipsy I agree I certainly wouldn't be happy for my DS to be given that kind of gratuitous detail. :oops:
They know about the principle of homosexuality - further information is unnecessary.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I certainly grew up that day, Zorro! :cry:

I think there is a fine line with equiping kids with necessary knowledge but we don't need to go down the ****** route. Again I don't want to talk out of turn but some of the more unnecessary things being taught in some (not all) schools only encourage some children to experiment when it would never have crossed their minds. DS older friend learnt the process of how heroin is melted and injected including the use of a tournecay (don't know how to spell it) and had a good example off a Bong shown to them that he can now recreate his own - great! :roll:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

zorro wrote:Goodness!Tipsy I agree I certainly wouldn't be happy for my DS to be given that kind of gratuitous detail. :oops:
They know about the principle of homosexuality - further information is unnecessary.
Right, the content may vary between schools (I hope!). The drugs topic however was analysed to such detail (they even had to do a project on it) that it eventually became boring and this has (hopefully) put them off for life :)
sj355
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

sj355 wrote: Right, the content may vary between schools (I hope!). The drugs topic however was analysed to such detail (they even had to do a project on it) that it eventually became boring and this has (hopefully) put them off for life :)
This is heartwarming news. I like this post. :)
sj355

Post by sj355 »

medwaymum wrote:
sj355 wrote: Right, the content may vary between schools (I hope!). The drugs topic however was analysed to such detail (they even had to do a project on it) that it eventually became boring and this has (hopefully) put them off for life :)
This is heartwarming news. I like this post. :)
Yes, and it returns us back to why school needs to be a boring sometimes
sj355
zorro

Post by zorro »

Teaching the dangers of drugs is fine but why on earth is it appropriate to teach them HOW to do it? :shock:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yes, and it returns us back to why school needs to be a boring sometimes
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

zorro wrote:Teaching the dangers of drugs is fine but why on earth is it appropriate to teach them HOW to do it? :shock:

Oh, because this also does the trick sometimes. My son is so against injecting or sniffing anything into his precious self, that he would not do it even if his life dependent on it! So the how to insert drugs into yourself really did it for him!
I also took the opportunity to introduce some humour into the situation by narrating to him the famous Woody Allan scene where he is in a party and cocaine is passed around to be sniffed. When his turn comes around and the powder is placed in front of his nose he ... sneezes!!! :lol: :lol:
sj355