What does your child want to be when they 'grow up'?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

inkypinkyponky

What does your child want to be when they 'grow up'?

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Like many posters here, OH and I have discussed GCSE options with DD1. We talked about subjects at A level, which she would therefore have to do the GCSE in. Talk turned to earning money and what job she'd like and it turned into a family discussion.

DD1 (aged 14, at Grammar) had a good think and would like to do a degree in Equine Management as she loves horses, but our finances only stretch to one 50 minute lesson per fortnight! After another think, another option was to go to Art college because she'd like to wear 'way out' clothes.

DD2 (aged 11, at all-girls secondary) would like to be a 'beautitionist' or have 10 babies. She then asked if we'd mind if she left having her first baby until she was 14. We told her that 14 was too young but it depended which part of Gravesend you lived in! :wink:

DS is 3 and he wants to be a big blue unicorn!

One of my nieces at the age of 7 wanted to be a puppy when she grew up- at the age of 25 she works for the National Probation Service- c'est la vie.

I am 42 and still don't know what to do- I did want to be an astronaut or a Roman who baths all day!
bcookerblum

Post by bcookerblum »

I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up too!

At the moment DD( age 12 and at grammar) wants to be either a magazine editor or a firefighter.

DS1( age 10) wants to be a maths teacher or a rugby coach

DS2( 7) wants to work in a sweet shop!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my son at 3 wanted to be a guard dog
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I would say that there are a number of factors to consider... what you like doing, how much £££ you want and where you want to live.

Guard Dog sounds good; wide range of places you could ply your trade and good satisfaction from biting criminals. Although £££ may be limited.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

to the question "what will I be when I grow up?",
my father always replied "Happy I hope"
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS2 has wanted to be a Fish (3), work in a cake shop (5) and currently wants to be a banker :shock: (8)

DS1 wants to be a Zoologist or an Avionic Engineer :roll:

I wanted to be a teacher, lawyer or doctor but now I just want to be rich! :wink:
jemima

Post by jemima »

My DS wants to be an icecream man because you get wheels, unlimited icecream and get to go to the beach on sunny days!
moved

Post by moved »

DD has wavered between running a juice bar on the Champs Elysee (I was rather keen on this one), being a journalist, a newsreader or now a barrister. DS wants to earn enough money to buy me a big house!

I also wanted to be an astronaut!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

DS(year 7) wants to be a cricket coach-after going to Loughborough Uni!
I have told him that I hope he is intending to work a bit harder than he is currently doing... :lol:
suncrest

Post by suncrest »

This is a lovely subject!

My DS from the age of 3 wanted to be a red Poweranger! (I was worried how he would keep the nice red lycra suit clean whilst saving the world!!) Now at the tender age of 11 he wants to be a marine biologist

DD aged 7 wants to be a waitress or a mum (I pointed out that it was possible to be both if she wants!)

With these answers why am I fretting so much about their education? They are happy children - all I want is for it to stay that way
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now