AHS 12 plus allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dejavu

AHS 12 plus allocations

Post by dejavu »

Hi all - long time no hear (thyroid issue is still a problem -after 16 years - can you still believe it? I am keeping taking the tablets (might kick in soon - but dose has been altered).

Anyway, our DD passed 12+. She desperately wants to go to AHS. We were told by AHS 3 weeks ago that it is full. Another parent from DD's current school whose daughter also passed 12 plus said that she phoned the school and they said that they were full. however they would create a place for one pupil in each year class (presumably 6). But they told her there was a waiting list. And they judge it on who lives nearest, and they take it into account being able to walk to the High.

Can they do this? I would assume that passing the 12 plus -- different rules would apply (ie. just because I live at the edge of catchment - I am actually still in catchment, and only have the same schools in catchment as others nearer). So why would this other "rule" apply for being able to walk to the school gates? Surely everyone would have to make their case separately?
many thanks
dejavu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

AHS don't allocate the 12+ places - the LA do and they will use distance in exactly the same way places were allocated at 11+. The LA will not allocate over PAN and appeals can be lodged.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

As we know well, being 13th on the 12+ waiting list for RLS last year, a successful appeal takes preference over those on the waiting list especially as there were a maximum of 7 places available for Yr 8.

So, after our successful appeal, us No 13, albeit in catchment, got a place and possibly some of those in front of us on the waiting list (who lived nearer the school) who did not appeal just stayed on the waiting list.

Funny old system but as everyone says, you don't lose anything by appealing.... 8)

Ambridge x
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

I didn't think they used distance in the 11+ for our gs schools (AGS,AHS.SHF) if you passed the 11 plus and were in catchment (which we are). It is not our fault that the nearest gs we can apply for in Bucks is 14/15 miles away!

And well done to our dear Ambridge - you give me hope (well, ok, a bit of it)
many thanks
dejavu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

From Admission booklet:

Admission rules for community and voluntary-controlled schools
If a school receives more applications than it has places available, we use admission rules to decide, in a fair and consistent way, which children we should offer the places to.
For each school you list we will work out, from the information in your application, which rule we will consider your child under. For example,
we will check whether your child has any brothers or sisters (siblings) at the schools or decide whether we will look at your application within the ‘exceptional’ rule (Rule 4).
We have defined some words in bold to help you understand what we mean. You can see the definitions on pages 10 to 14 and more detail
is in our Scheme. Once places have been allocated to children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs, the remaining places will be
allocated in the following order:
Rule 1
Children in care.
Rule 2
Children living in the catchment area of the school.
Rule 3
For Year 7 admission in September 2009 - Siblings of children in Years 7 to 10 who are on the roll of the school at the time the allocations
are made.
For immediate casual (in-year) admission –
Siblings of children in Years 7-11 at the time of admission.
Rule 4
Children who have exceptional medical or social needs supported by written evidence from a doctor, social worker, education welfare
officer or other appropriate person.
Rule 5
Once the above rules have been applied, then any further places will be offered in distance order, using the distance between the family’s normal
home address and the school’s nearest entrance gate, offering the closest first. We use the shortest appropriate route.
Where a school can take some, but not all, of the children who qualify under one of these rules, we will give priority to children by taking account
of the next rule (or rules) in the numbered list.

For example, if all the children who qualify under Rule 1 can be offered places but there are too many children who qualify under Rule 2, we will
use Rules 3, 4 and 5 to rank all children qualifying under Rule 2 and decide who can be offered a place.

So this is why children in catchment might not get places.
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

I also found it hard to get me head around the distance thing when it was our catchment school!

At our appeal, once it was established at the first part of the appeal that the school could accept another 6/7 children, we met those who were 1,2,3 and 5 on the waiting list, all of whom lived so close to the school, virtually in the school grounds, but who realised they would only be assured of a place by succeeding in an appeal.

Having said that, after the appeals were done and dusted (end of July/early August) there was a place still available on 1 September and the then No 1 on the waiting list was invited to join the school.

I am not sure even sure who on the waiting list eventually gained a school place, it all got rather complicated.....

Dejavu, re-assuring to know there is a little flexibility at AHS for Yr 8 joiners - go for it.
:D
Ambridge x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now