Eleven plus results

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nervous mother

Eleven plus results

Post by Nervous mother »

Hello everyone. I have had the worst two weeks and this website has saved my sanity. My daughter's eleven plus results for Bucks were 118 for both tests. We were totally confused at the results. I've already sent the head teachers letter in with his full support. His letter shows her previous VRT scores as 131 and 128, with a ranking of 6 out of 72 children, of which 17 passed the test. She also received a 1 and 2 for her attitude and expected VRt. She has received 2 level 5 and 2 level 4 in year 5 and has been predicted to receive all level 5 this year. Her reading age when tested in year 5 when she was still 9 (July 20 Birthday) was 13. 1 and her spelling age 12. That is what the head included in his paper as well as a few lovely paragraphs explaining how he considers my daughter a perfect pupil for grammar school. I have a few academic awards that she won already this year and some math and literacy books to bring with me for the appeal. To try and make a long story a bit shorter. We have no other evidence than her academic records as to why she should have a successful appeal. Does anyone know if she has a good chance and if there's anything else I could do to help her.

Thank you!
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Wow that sounds to me like a grammar school pupil! But I don't sit on a panel. Hopefully that fact that her results were similar plus all that lovely evidence will stand you in good stead.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on...

JuliaB
MelX

Nervous Mother

Post by MelX »

Dear NM

Goodness how awful for you and your daughter. It sounds to me like something went wrong on the day. How did she feel after the test, was she unwell? She did get hit by bad nerves?

Look its sounds to me like she has the full support from the school for an appeal and that will count for a great deal.

Look at all the posts on here from Ethienne who is the expert in'Appeals'.

Your daughter should be in Grammar school so start your prep.

Best luck and keep posting

Melx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi NM

You have a very good case there - two consistent results (albeit not passes) strong academic evidence, academic awards, good rankings and recommendation from the Head - it's all there. Hopefully the panel will also see it that way, but there are no guarantees, I'm afraid!

The one question that will come up at Appeal is "what went wrong on the two actual days of the test?". It is a very hard one to answer! If you cite nerves, then the panel could conclude that she will fall apart under pressure at a GS. Don't start digging around for feeble mitigating circumstances at this stage though - they will only dilute a very strong academic case.

Ultimately you may have to say "we don't know, but all the other evidence shows that she should have passed".

I wonder what Etienne thinks about this one - a classic blip in performance, perhaps?

Good luck - don't be nervous - you have a very good case.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Based on what we have been told, it sounds like a good case, and I agree with Sally-Anne's comments.

If the children who qualified were mostly those ranked 1-5 and 7-17, it will be an even stronger case!

Regards
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, my post above. Logged out again **!!#^!
Etienne
Nervous Mother

Thank You!

Post by Nervous Mother »

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has replied to my posting. I never thought I would react this way if my daughter didn't get 121 on the Eleven Plus, but this is much worse than I could have dreamed. I feel under so much pressure, especially since I was so confident she would acheive a comfortable passing score. Your comments and reading about other families' outcomes have made me relax a tiny bit. It's amazing to read everyones' postings and realize we all sound the same. The need to make sure your child gets their best shot at life can leave you crumbling with stress. Good luck to all!
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Hi NM

One tip I remember from when I was appealing last year was to just say to my child: I am appealing and will do my best. I never said anything else to him or my other children after that, until we had the appeal result. All the legwork and poring over school reports and school books and talking to teacher and writing letters - he was not involved in any of that, he felt bad enough. I did a waffly letter and clutched at the flimsiest reasons for appealing. I did a bad job, but it was my fight and not his. I think it helped him to cope better when I just said 'we weren't able to get you a place, but we are considering **** school'. I came to this site this year and know lots more about appealing now - If I were you I would arm yourself with all the marvellous information and support and just go for it. At least then you can say you gave it your best shot.

Good luck we're all with you

JuliaB
njg

Post by njg »

I think you're soo right to involve them as little as possible in the appeal system, my daughter is however, asking a lot of questions ie when? what will happen? etc. managing to fob her off at the moment and then xmas will arrive and hopefully she'll forget (wish i could!). Part of the problem is that she just wants to know where she's going, even 2 of her friends aren't making a firm decision until they know where my daughter is going - sweet.
As much as we and the teachers try and play all this down these kids create their own hype. It's unsettling for them not to know where they are going and who with, let alone the natural fear of failiure - again.
I think we'll keep everything on the QT and cross bridges as when. I will have to work hard on not talking to myself about it which i seem to be doing more and more!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi njg & NM

I truly feel for you both, and all parents waiting to go through an appeal. I was a nervous wreck last year, and this forum kept me sane, so please come back whenever you need a shoulder to cry on.

I do agree with the idea of keeping the whole process from the kids. My son had no idea of the date of our appeal, and children's time-frames are different from ours, so he floated along, oblivious. I think girls show more interest in the broader picture of life, so it will be more difficult to manage their expectations.

As soon as that appeal letter is posted, work out how you will handle it on the day. Write it down, put it in an envelope in a safe place, and forget about it. Treat yourself to a massage, a new bottle of bath foam, anything, and do your best to consider the whole problem closed!

Worrying about it will not help your child and won't change anything between now and the appeal. Our Christmas was ruined by this process last year, and I wouldn't like to see anyone go through the same thing. It just isn't worth it.

Nervous Mum - if you would like to PM me for more support, please do.

Sally-Anne