11+ exam results : can I get them under freedom of info act?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Devonmum

11+ exam results : can I get them under freedom of info act?

Post by Devonmum »

My son took the 11+ in Devon in mid-November. We won't recieve his results (i.e. whether he passed/failed the test) until March 1st, the same day all the school places are offered nationally. The school said it used to send out results as soon as they were marked, but are now "bound by legislation" so cannot.

However, I can see from reading other posts that at least Bucks and Trafford have already published their results. Can anyone from other counties who have also received results let me know? Why does this legislation not apply to them? I'm wondering if enough other counties publish results, why Devon can't follow suit.
It's particularly important for us as we're in the middle of buying a house and would like to know whether it's worth looking near the Grammar school or not? Also, nearly 5 months is a very long time for a 10 year old to wait for a test result.

Does anyone have any info re their county, or know about the freedom of information thing? Thanks

Post by Guest »

We also have to wait until 1st March in Warwickshire. I think it is very unfair that we have to send in our options form before we know what our options are! I know that the papers have already been maked so I don't know why it takes so long for us to get the results.

I think you have made an interesting point regarding other counties not adhering to legislation! I wonder if anybody does know whether we could get the results under the Freedom of Information Act?

Post by Guest »

Freedom of Information Act does not apply (that Act involves, in simple terms, access to non-personal information).

The Subject Access provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) DO apply. Put simply, this means that the "subject" of personal data held by public authorities (i.e. your child, and by extension, you) can request that that personal data be released to them.

HOWEVER, Schedule 7 of the DPA, says that the public authority does not have to release exam/test results until either five months after you have made the request, or forty days after the test results are published (whichever is earlier).

So, unless at least five months will elapse between your child taking the test and the publishing of the results, you cannot use the DPA (or the FOIA for that matter) to get hold of the results in advance of the normal date.
newbie but stressed

Post by newbie but stressed »

on Wirral we have to wait till 2nd March..!!

They took the final test 5th December..

I'm wishing my life away now...
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi, I live in Lincolnshire and for the first time in a few years we received the results one month after the test, i.e. mid-October. Prior to this Lincolnshire operated the same sysytem as your county. This made it very difficult for parents to select their child's school as some schools were saying that if they weren't your first choice they wouldn't accept you. At least we were able to make an informed decision. Good luck.
louise

Post by louise »

Hi, me again. I've just re-read your comments. I'm not sure re: freddom of info act., but my husband thinks he remembers being told by our grammar schools head that we could request to see the papers. We didn't want to, but it may be worth phoning the school and asking them if this is possible.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now