Looking for help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bamze

I need a help 11+ appeal

Post by bamze »

Dear Etienne,
We live in Swinton,Manchester and school we appealing for is UGS(own-admission authority,fondation school) in Urmston(LEA Traford)
We are going to appeal against oversubscription(our 1st choice UGS) next week.Our daughter has been ranked by score on 33 place,but fundamental reason for her not been offered a place is the distance we live from the school that is going along with the school's oversubscription criteria.
We decided to make an appeal,because we think that is not fair to her,she score verry well- she score 381 out of possible 423 marks.
The appeal will be handle by Independant Appeal Panel.Please help me to outline the mine points in our appeal and help me with some clue,I know that basis in school position will be their oversubscriotion criteria.
thank you in advance
bamze

Post by bamze »

I forgot to mention that she was level 5 last year in her optional SAT-s and her teacher predicted level 5a this year in all subjects,we have letter comfirming that from her teacher and the head teacher and they try to support us as much as possible-because they said she is highly academic,is there any other evidance I can ask primary school to provide to make our case stronger?
bamze

Post by bamze »

All parents are welcom to advise me as well,thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi,

Have you had a look at this section - Appeal for an oversubscribed school.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... #section-C

Good Luck :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I 've had a look at the oversubscription policy - it seems unusual that it is by distance but in M41 postcodes first and then M31 postcodes and then everywhere else. I take it you don't live in m41.....???.....
Have you any info about where ie which postcode + how far way the children who have been offered places live and how many appeals they have receieved?

Good luck Herman
bamze

Post by bamze »

Yes I have read them,
thanks a lot
bamze

Post by bamze »

hi hermanmunster,
Yes we live in M27,
We reseive inf. for the ranked by score and by distanse,the last place is offered to child who live on 4.47 miles away,and school reseive 48 appeals this year.
School is in M41 may be criteria is based on that.
Strange thing in the admmission criteria is that children with double score can not afford place because of the distanse they live from the school.
I am not sure is it suitable to put that in my appeal?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure what you mean by double score?

Always tricky including info about other kids getting places, you have to say why you should get a place not why others shouldn't.
bamze

Post by bamze »

hermanmunster,sorry for the ambiguous expression, i want to say that she had score enough
marks to be ranked on 33 place by that,but because of the oversubsctiption criteria if the child is not in first 20 results,then the distance from school is the mine criteria and she was ranked on 231 place by distanse,and places were offered to children who have marks puting them 20 or 30 places by score afrter her,because of that I am wondering is it sutable to say that the criteria is not much fair?i don want to way other children don have to get a place.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Crumbs Bamze !

I think you would have a struggle there challenging the whole of the admissions policy for the school..... The first 20 places are given to the top 20 scorers wherever they live and then the rest of the 108 places are given on distance. It tends to be done to give very bright children from areas with no GS an opportunity to get in to a GS - but of course they then have to travel.

Most of the schools would have gone on distance only (after catchment children have been given places) - I think you would have found yourself in the sam problem if this had been the policy there, it is obviously a very popular school and have a lot more passing than they have places if you are now at 231 on distance.

Herman