Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pensby

Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award

Post by Pensby »

Hi My 14 year old DD is doing her D of E this weekend and I'm getting a bit panicky about her in Wales with only her friends,a tent ,a rucksack and lots of sheep!!
Any one out there got DC doing their D of E soon or already done it-I'd love some "piece of mind "before she goes- as it is I think I will be a nervous wreck from Sat am till she returns Sun eve!!
Any tales to tell !
thanks Pensby :D
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Your DD is lucky; she'll have a great time.... albeit probably a bit soggy if the forecast is right.

Whatever you do... don't read this.... http://www.peculiar-poetry.com/paul-cur ... beasts.htm

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you can go out for the night and get really drunk and then you will sleep well and be thinking of your hangover in the morning and not DC. It does work! :lol:
lion63

Post by lion63 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:If you can go out for the night and get really drunk and then you will sleep well and be thinking of your hangover in the morning and not DC. It does work! :lol:
Just don't post on the forum unless you are sober. :lol:

Pensby wrote:Hi My 14 year old DD is doing her D of E this weekend and I'm getting a bit panicky about her in Wales with only her friends,a tent ,a rucksack and lots of sheep!!
Any one out there got DC doing their D of E soon or already done it-I'd love some "piece of mind "before she goes- as it is I think I will be a nervous wreck from Sat am till she returns Sun eve!!
Any tales to tell !
I will assume you are thinking of all the worst things that could happen but these things are usually run by an experienced teacher in charge of the whole programme. You could find out how long the teacher-in-charge has been doing this and how successful it has been in the previous years.

The children will have had all their briefings and be mentally and physically up for a challenge and will have a ball.

Perhaps, pack mini emergency packs of chocs and goodies in case she gets peckish, extra socks,gloves and a long sleeved vest or jumper in case she is colder than expected. Keep spares in separate plastic bags so they stay clean in the bottomless rucksack.

A small tube of Arnica Cream to rub on sore feet just before bed keeps them feeling rested for the next day. Don't ask why but it works.

The children will be in a highly charged mental state all weekend and should she come home shattered on Sunday, don't worry. Get a nice hot bath and welcoming home dinner ready. She will enjoy you fussing over her.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi
Thanks for the replys

Tipsy- can't really plan on getting drunk as have to look after DS who is only 12 -thoughtwill definatlely manage a few glasses of wine-may I say how nice it is to see you on my thread!! :D I have read so many of yours !

Lion 63 I am sure all you said is true,will pack some arnica-good tip!
Have already stocked up on goodies and socks and a chocolale fuge cake for Sunday pudding

Sunlamp... thought poem was great - my DH was theatening to dress up as sheep so he could keep an eye on them!

I hope the forecast is wrong as a bit of sunshine always makes things look better

thanks again Pensby
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have read so many of yours
"Many" being the operative word! :oops:

I think you must post on the county sections which I virtually never go on to, hence I've never posted on your thread before.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

My ds went on his practice expedition last autumn and has the real thing in 4 weeks. They all survived. The teacher is usually not that far away and the boys had a phone number to ring if there was a problem-they were advised to take a couple of old mobile phones between the group.

You will find that if they are sharing out cooking equipment their rucksacks get very full very quickly so think about easy light food (chocolate was very popular). There are some very tiny sleeping bags around which give you more space in the rucksack. Presumably they are coordinating the food between them, make sure they really do discuss it so that you don't end up with them doubling up and taking too much. I would also suggest that those who provide the earlier meals in the weekend take some stuff off the rest of them as they will carry less otherwise.

Keeping things dry is very important

You might want to go over map reading skills-our lot didn't really have much clue!

They will have a whale of a time and be absolutely fine. Hope it stays dry
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

surreymum wrote:rucksacks get very full very quickly
That's a really important observation. Taking too much stuff is a real pain; travel light.

I'm jealous... looking forward to our next camping trip already.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is always someone that brings hair straighteners or a phone charger ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hi Feeling better this morning DD seems happy though I can't say she is looking forward to it yet!
They have been told they can't take a mobile unless it has the battery removed and is in a sealed bag ! and is only for extreme emergencies!
Foodwise they have a vegetarian in the group so are going to be living of pasta and lots of flapjack!
Tipsy - I have been known to leave the Wirral ( my home) but only to post on general threads like this - I often read your threads on the Independent section if I fancy a good read !!
Pensby