Piano Lessons

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumm

Piano Lessons

Post by mumm »

Hi All
Please can anyone advise / offer tips regarding piano lessons.
My yr7 daughter has decided she wants to learn. We have been looking out for cheap piano's for sale and am wondering if there are any pitfalls that i should avoid...having no experience of piano other than playing on my nan's when I was 8!!! :wink:
Any advise would be gratefully received. :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I have nudged an earlier thread for you
moved

Post by moved »

A second hand electronic piano is a good place to start. They do not need tuning and can be quite cheap on ebay. They are also slightly more portable.
Our has been useful for the last seven years and shows no sign of problems
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, meant to post a link to the thread -

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9289
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

moving wrote:A second hand electronic piano is a good place to start. They do not need tuning and can be quite cheap on ebay. They are also slightly more portable.
Our has been useful for the last several years and shows no sign of problems
Hi Moving.Nice to be together on a non controversial post :)

mumm we too got a digital piano a few years ago.I did lots of research and was told several times by "experts" that they will get a child to grade 5. They don't need tuning (which is expensive) or a room with a consistent temperature.(ours is in the conservatory)
If they ever get to grade 5 then we might consider renting one.There are several shops that will do this.
As regards a teacher I would look for personal recommendations if poss.If not Music shops tend to keep a list of local teachers.
moved

Post by moved »

DS is happily playing at grade 5 level on our electronic piano. No requests for a better one yet. So I am hoping it will see grade 6 and if he turns into a virtuoso (sic) then I will consider investing in something better
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

moving wrote:DS is happily playing at grade 5 level on our electronic piano. No requests for a better one yet.
Yes -I should prob have said at least grade 5. I am not a pianist but I understand from those that are ,that an ecoustic piano is superior,eventually.
We certainly had to upgrade flutes when DD got to grade 5 but I am told "that is it now" , and it will take her to grade 8. Phew :(

But not to put you off Mumm because it is a joy to hear them practise ( eventually :D ) and a simple, cheapish starter instrument will do.Good luck 8)
Chambod

Post by Chambod »

My niece got to grade 8 on their digital piano. The actual instrument that she has is called a clavinova. She is very musical, the piano being one of three that she reached grade 8 on, and she is still playing. Her younger siblings, both in year 9, are learning the piano on the same instrument - so it has served them well.
moved

Post by moved »

Ours is a Clavinova too, Yamaha. So perhaps that would be one to go for
solimum

Post by solimum »

If you want more expert advice on all aspects of learning music (and can cope with the idea of yet another forum complete with the occasional spat..) try the Associated Board forums

http://www.abrsm.org/forum/index.php?s= ... 3e&act=idx

where there is a section specifically for parents as well as various instrumental sections