Tips for living cheaply during a recession...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Tips for living cheaply during a recession...

Post by Ed's mum »

This is what DH and I have been doing...

Buying the 'basics' ranges.
Making everything - soups, breads, cakes, flapjacks, meals completely from scratch.
Eating really cheap meals like liver, nettle soup, pasta with vegetable sauce.
We have dug over our lawn and turned it into a veggie patch.
About to start making elderflower wine (once they flower).

Taking a finite amount out of the bank for the weekly shop, then not spending anymore once that runs out...You would not believe how little we are spending each week for 4 plus the dog!!

Anyone doing anything like this?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

OH and I are falling out constantly because I keep telling him to take a certain amount out. So far for the last three months he has spent half of the amount 4 days after pay day on his stupid bank cards! :x After one year I have entually managed to get him not to buy lunches and to make them! :shock:

Boarding school saves us tonnes on food and petrol and my diet is sooo cheap! I'm glad I'm on a diet because some of the contents of the Basics range (sausages for example) are a bit suspicious. The veg is fine though and anything not processed. :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I would not buy basics 'meat' products! Would rather abstain!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Ed's Mum - agree about basic meats - yuk! But any tips on how to feed a family of 5 cheaply (me, DH, 3 boys - 2 with man-size plus appetites) gratefully received! You simply would not believe the amount of food they can pack away and whereas previously I would foolishly cater for individual tastes at meal times, it simply isn't on any more as it's just too expensive. I don't think any of them apart from me would go for the nettle soup though!

Am still recovering from the shame of cooking 3 large pizzas, plus a pile of chicken goujons and a mega salad for DS1 (14) and 3 mates a couple of weeks ago and re-entering the kitchen to find completely empty dishes and boys clearly hoping I was going to produce more fodder ....

Oh, and please give me your flapjack recipe too - you could have built a wall with my last attempt :(
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Tipsy and Ed's mum what an interesting discussion. Many folk are reducing what they spend most out of necessity some out of fashion.

Hopefully that boring first paragraph will deflect any mods to the hint of links below.

Try living below your means LBYM at the Motley Fool UK, they also have DWD dealing with debt. DWD is also useful for those not in debts as it shows how to reduce outgoings.

Be foolish.

steve
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This thread has reminded me of the phonecall I had with DS tonight. I picked the wrong night - he had been very naughty and received a punishment so when he heard my voice it was an excuse for tears to come to the surface and tell me all the wicked things they were doing to him! :roll: So I thought I'd ask him a question that would cheer him up. He loves to eat so I asked if the food was good.

"Well it's not my type of food you know."

"Oh?" I said.

"Well it's from Asda and Tesco and I don't eat from these stores!"

Err yes you do son! :shock:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Now read your thread and assume you were saying your thread was boring and not mine! So so sorry! Dying of embarrassment! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Okay...
Flapjacks...

75g of butter or margarine
50 - 75g light brown sugar
1 tablespoon of golden syrup
175g of porridge oats

I usually double the amounts though.

1. Put the butter or margarine, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the fat and sugar have melted.

2. Add the porridge oats and blend thoroughly.

3. Press into a well greased oven container.

4. Bake in the centre of a moderate oven at 180c or 350f or gas mark 4 for 25 minutes or until evenly golden brown.

5. Mark into fingers whilst warm.

6. Allow to become almost cold in the tin before removing.

As for them not liking nettle soup...call it vegetable soup!!!!!

I also make cheap fishcakes.

I use tinned fish such as tuna in water (preferably not brine). Mix with mashed potato (which is often a leftover), breadcrumbs (we freeze the bread if it gets stale towards the end of the loaf) and chopped raw onion. Parsley mised in if you have some. Mould into patty/rissole shapes. We then dip into egg. You could then roll into breadcrumbs. We don't out of choice. They are dirt cheap to make!

Banana loaf is good for using up over-ripened bananas.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

You could follow my diet:

Breakfast:

I apple, I yoghurt

Lunch,

Soup and cheese spread sandwich

Dinner:

Rice and stir fry veg

Very, very cheap and very very boring! :cry: