Hi,

I have a question again.

Tution For You CD Vol 1

Test 2
Q10 Compound Word

torch light
flash bright
shine in

The answer from the cd is flashlight which is right.
But my daughter's answer is torchlight which is a correct answer as well (if I am wrong please let me know).

Could someome help me please?
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

If that came up on an actual test paper, then I would go with the more common and more obvious: Flashlight. But yes, your daughter is right as well.
Tuition For You

Post by Tuition For You »

Wasn't I generous? Allowing two answers!

Yes, both are perfectly fine and perhaps an oversight during development. Flashlight was actually my intended answer as this appears in Bond and Nfer papers and a lot of children are not familar with this term and that is refers to a torch

You will find that many exam papers have questions where two possible answers, sometimes even three, will 'work' but are not stated in the answer book. This is particularly true with the four letter hidden word questions and adding a letter to create two new words. As long as the word is a 'real word' (in the dictionary) please allow it and give your child the mark- and also praise them for finding more answers than the examiners themselves!

Perhaps we should start employing children as proof readers!
Kind regards

Emmy Middleton
Founder
Tuition For You LTD
Reg No 5747954
cinnamon

Post by cinnamon »

I wouldn't say flashlight is more common - it's an American usage. We would say torch, surely. Torchlight means something different (the light emitted by the torch).
Tuition For You

Post by Tuition For You »

cinnamon wrote:I wouldn't say flashlight is more common - it's an American usage. We would say torch, surely. Torchlight means something different (the light emitted by the torch).
Sorry- I meant common as in its usage within 11plus question papers, not in our everyday language
Kind regards

Emmy Middleton
Founder
Tuition For You LTD
Reg No 5747954
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now