CAF confusion

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nathair

CAF confusion

Post by Nathair »

Hi, I'm really confused atm by the CAF form (don't have one yet, just thinking about it) and I need some advice. I want to apply for 2 Grammars and 2 indies for my DD. One Grammar in in our county (Clitheroe Royal Grammar), one is just across the border in Yorkshire (Skipton Girls) and the two indies are in Blackburn (QEGS and Westholme). The application details on the Lancs grammar says it must be listed as a choice on the CAF but I can't find any details about the others. Do I list the Lancs grammar and 2 local schools that I have no intention of DD going to, or put the other schools she is interested in?
Thanks
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Don't list ANY schools you're not interested in.

Put your first choice (presumably Clither GS) first and then the others in order of preference - however, I'm not sure about the OoC one (Skipton) someone else will tell you whether or not it should be included on that caf form or not.

The indies are totally separate and do not need to be listed anywhere other than in your head :)

How many choices do you get? In North Yorkshire you get 5.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Snowdrops wrote:Don't list ANY schools you're not interested in.

Put your first choice (presumably Clither GS) first and then the others in order of preference - however, I'm not sure about the OoC one (Skipton) someone else will tell you whether or not it should be included on that caf form or not.

The indies are totally separate and do not need to be listed anywhere other than in your head :)

Just might be worth bearing in mind that if circumstances change e.g finances, that it would be good to have one local, bearable school.If you only list the selective schools, and you didn't get them, you would be allocated a school potentially miles away.(if your local schools are oversubscribed)
Hopefully though, you will get your selective schools but just a thought that it is good to have a back up plan, if life takes some unexpected turns.(Sure it won't- but just in case)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh yes, you must always put the bearable schools in.

What you MUST do is fill in all the choices because if you don't and there are no vacancies at the schools you do actually want (top choices or schools which are bearable) then you will be allocated a school you really wouldn't want at all!!

.............................. come to think of it they'll do that anyway if they don't have spaces at any of the schools on your caf :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Thanks for the advice, the problem being that there really are no decent state schools around here :roll: So defiantly fill all the options with the grammars, then the bearable (and hope that we don't need them) and don't mention the indies?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Nope, don't mention the indies - it's not down to the LEA to allocate places in them, it's down to the individual indie schools to say who goes to their schools.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Just checked, we only get 3 choices and I have to put both grammars down if I want them to be considered! That only leaves one space to pick the most bearable state as a back up and that's usually oversubscribed ARRRRGGHH!!!! Time to pray for decent bursaries I think. I cant believe how much stress there is already for a sept 2010 entry!!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sounds like you're in the same position we were last year :cry:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Nathair

Yes you have to put both grammars down.... You will get the Skipton result about a week before the CAF has to be in and the result will obviously influence what you put.,
The surrounding LEAs to N Yorks and N Yorks are used to out of area applications and it doesn;t seem to cause any problem.
I THINK the Clitheroe test is too late for the CAF but I'm not entirely sure ...
Re other schools - I can imagine the problem re this, only one I have heard of that people really rate is Bowland .... don't suppose you are anywhere near that???
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Snowdrops wrote:Sounds like you're in the same position we were last year :cry:
How did it turn out for you?
hermunmunster wrote:Re other schools - I can imagine the problem re this, only one I have heard of that people really rate is Bowland .... don't suppose you are anywhere near that???
No we're in Colne, so it's Park or Primet and their GCSE results were terrible!!
PARK:
PUPILS WITH EQUIVALENT OF FIVE OR MORE GCSES GRADE C OR ABOVE INCLUDING ENGLISH AND MATHS
34%

PRIMET:
PUPILS WITH EQUIVALENT OF FIVE OR MORE GCSES GRADE C OR ABOVE INCLUDING ENGLISH AND MATHS
45%
Her friends are going to Park, but I could not bring myself to let her go there, I think I'd home school first :( The local Catholic school is supposed to be better but they only got 39% and we're not catholic anyway.