Which Cube cannot be made from the given net?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
liesauk

Which Cube cannot be made from the given net?

Post by liesauk »

I am trying to find a way of DD2 to understand how to figure these out very quickly.
She is doing really well in NVR but has hit a stumbling block with these ones and its a guessing game with them.

I have been pretty useful so far but even I am struggling to find a quick way to look at these cubes and see which one out of the 5 multiple choice would not be made from the given.

We are using BOND 10 MINUTE TESTS NVR 9-10 YR OLDS.

any help would be gratefully received! I just wondered what YOU use lol

thanks!

Liesa
x :o
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/hexominos.htm

Might help - cut some of the shapes out and get her to fold them up - this will help visualisation.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

On the Bond website there is a free download of cube nets.

We spent a happy afternoon playing with them, not relevant to our local NVR but useful all the same. :)

steve
fm

Post by fm »

Don't worry. Most children struggle with these.

I am sure you have already told her this but, just in case you haven't, any squares which have a square between them cannot then be next to each other--they will always be opposite each other when the cube is made. This, of course, won't work for all of them but it does work for some.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Steve,

Do you have Bond's 'How to do non verbal reasoning' book? Nets of cubes is covered in this book and may give you few basic concepts to grasp.

Gilly
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Gilly wrote:Steve,

Do you have Bond's 'How to do non verbal reasoning' book? Nets of cubes is covered in this book and may give you few basic concepts to grasp.

Gilly
Hi Gilly,

Yes I do, thanks. It is a very good book and gives the link to the website where you can download and cut out all the net types. :)

steve
moved

Post by moved »

When we thought we were moving DD began doing NVR, she liked everything except the cubes. Cutting out the nets and colouring the edges that touched helped her. She did about 10 and then found them easy. However when faced with nets of cubes in an old SATs paper she had totally forgotten how to do them. So I would recommend reinforcement when your DD "gets it".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now