a question for Patricia

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
honscupboard

a question for Patricia

Post by honscupboard »

Hello
I thought I understood this but after reading the Bucks thread - I obviously don't!
Dc due to sit 12+ in Nov in Dorset. The school couldn't tell me if they test the 15 types or 21 types of VR, just that they use NFER (GL)
Am I right in thinking that the shop bought ones have 15 types, but the real ones will have 21 types?
Please help
Many thanks in advance
moved

Post by moved »

Sorry I'm not Patricia and she will correct me if I am wrong. Yes you are correct regarding NFER/GL, I have no idea about Dorset. However, the Tutors papers on this site cover all 21 types between two papers, i.e. 5b, 6b. We found them to be very useful.
Edit: I've recommended them to many of my pupils, who have also benefited.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I too don't have any idea about Dorset but would agree with moving that you may aswell cover the 21 types as the vast majority of the practice material does anyway.

Also in Gloucestershire traditionally they tested 15 types but I am convinced there were some of the extra 6 types in this years test. So basically for very little extra work you will be playing it safe.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

It might be worth asking this question on the Dorset section of the forum too
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Tolstoy wrote:Also in Gloucestershire traditionally they tested 15 types but I am convinced there were some of the extra 6 types in this years test. So basically for very little extra work you will be playing it safe.
The Wiltshire schools also use GL to set their 11+ tests and recommend the GL (15 type) papers for familiarisation. My DD sat the test in November and remembered that some of the questions came from the extra 6 types. Not exactly fair, but we had prepared using mostly 21 type materials so she was OK.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Kent did the same recently too.
It is worth covering the famous HIKNOS (1.e the remaining 6 types out of 21) even if only briefly
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Honscupboard

Yes, you have understood correctly. Nfer which can be bought in the shops only cover 15 types, but most 11 plus schools/areas use 21 types. The 6 that are missing are commonly known as HIKNOS as identified by the publisher IPS.

If you are unsure whether its 15 or 21 then you are best covering all 21 types.

I assume you were looking at the following thread, which includes a list of relevant publishers, together with a recommended order based on difficulty.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Patricia
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

many thanks to all who replied - it makes such a difference having so many experts on hand to help, especially for those of us who are new to this!
We will continue with our IPS sessions - which dc loves!