YR6 French Creation?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chardom

YR6 French Creation?

Post by chardom »

My DS has been asked to create something and anything French for a sort of project at school. :? No writing involved. Lots of his classmates are apparently baking croissants for this event. He wants to do something different but I am having 'parents block' at the moment and can't think of a decent idea. :idea: Has anyone been asked to do a task like this before and do you have any thoughts on what we could do :?: We have 2 weeks to create a masterpiece :!:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ooh difficult.

you could get him to do brainstorming session, spider diagram thingy on France and see what he thinks of connected to France.

bit similar to the croissants but this might help
http://www.easy-french-food.com/french- ... cipes.html

or maybe flammekeuche (alsace pizza type thingy)

model of eiffel tower constructed from gauloise packets??..maybe not!
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Well, there's always the obvious Eiffel Tower from meccano, or maybe Lego if you can find enough of it, not life size of course :wink:

How about a copy of a painting by a well known French artist? He could google work by Monet, Manet, Degas, Matisse, Pisarro, Toulouse-Lautrec, Seurat. Decide on his favourite subject/style and if he's arty then half term could be productive!
Seurat could be an easier artist to copy as he painted in the pointilist style, thousands and thousands of dots of colour. Could do this with felt-tip pens, not even paint.
Matisse designed fantastic, abstract, stained-glass windows in his later life using large blocks of coulour as he was losing his sight, so had to make bold designs. Use sheet of black sugar paper, cut out holes and glue tissue paper on the back.

Erm, still thinking. If your son likes photography how about looking at early photographs called Daguerreotypes? Produced by Louis Daguerre in the 1830's a lot of them were of still-lifes or interiors and of course, black and white. Formal photos of the family at home in the style of?

Again arty, (sorry!) sculptors Rodin and Degas, papier mache anyone?

Croissants look hard to make, much better to eat them, especially with chocolat in the middle, yum yum!
sp

Post by sp »

If he is "crafty" how about a textured map of France? It could include the snowy Alps, a couple of wine regions, Paris, some beaches etc. Then he could put on some 3d objects such as a small Eiffel tower, ski lift, grapes and olives, boats etc. If arty, add Monet's garden!! Maybe a mini Tour de France....
I'm rubbish at all that so feel quite chuffed to have thought of any thing at all!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
my thoughts immediately turned to food!

yours
"traditionally built"
of Kent
chardom

Post by chardom »

Many thanks for all your ideas on this. DS likes the idea of the alsace pizza thingy but is not sure how it will taste when he gets it ti school and its cold :!: We have decided to go with the seurat pointillism as it will look very effective when done. He is doing the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. Am off to a leading supermarket near me to purchase a new pack of felt tips for the job :!: Might have a go at it myself. :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

aha!

pointillism..........

best thing is water paints and cotton buds, looks brilliant and very like Seurat.

The colour change is more subtle.

My class did some lovely pointillism Autumn leaves. Teh colours blend beautifully using that method.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Hope you are enjoying your creative half-term!

Do take a photo of the finished creation, can it be posted on the site as I'm sure we all want a shufti?!

Oh, to see the Eiffel Tower and to smell the incense and candles in Notre Dame again.................................

(it beats todays outing to Chatham Historic Dockyard in the sheeting rain with three soaking wet, bedraggled, moaning children!)