Problems with revision

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moose

Problems with revision

Post by moose »

Hello,
My son is Y7 in QE Boys Grammar . I feel that he has a problem with revising for tests. Obviously this is sth new for him hence in his primary there was no homework whatsoever.
He is fine when I revise with him, but honestly this is sth I would be more than happy to drop, at least for some subject (especially for the ones I have to refresh my memory first before revision). Any ideas how to do it?
At the moment if I leave my son and ask him to revise, he comes back after 5 min saying he knows everything, which of course is not true.
Any advise welcome.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If you find out let me know, I am on teh verge of giving up with my darling son who is in middle of GCSEs!

My daughter used to make large thought maps on sheets of A3.

Also answering actual questions rather than trying to just read and memorising helps.

Have you looked on BBC bitesize website? or skillswise there are some quite good tailored revision activities.
zee

Post by zee »

Yep, advice for how to get bright overconfident boys to revise would be welcome.

My DC is in year 10 and did hardly any revision, even for History, on the basis that he always does really well in tests and exams without revising, so why waste time for the sake of only one or two percentage points which he doesn't need! :shock:

I really hope that when he gets his results in a week a two that they will be just disappointing enough to make him realise that he needs to put in a bit more effort, since these are the last exams he'll do that don't "matter".
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

My Y7 son is a huge fan of bitesize and uses it to revise for end of unit science tests and was on it yesterday revising for next week's maths test. He also uses mind maps which he's been shown how to do at school.

My Y9 son's revision technique is to wait until I get really, really cross at the lack of revision, the he lies on his bed and reads through a text book :roll: I keep telling him he should make notes and then distill these down to bullet points which he can look at just before an exam, but to no avail. I did some revision with him for his music test this term as it's one of his options and I wanted him to do well. But, like you Moose, I feel it's something they should be doing on their own. Trouble is, Y9 DS just doesn't have Y7 DS's motivation and competitiveness.

But do get your son to try bitesize.
moose

Post by moose »

Thanks. I will try bitesize revision help.
You really made me feel better. At least I AM NOT ALONE.
I am at work now and my son is at home on his own supposedly revising. Ha ha! Our computer is most certainly hot from Call of Duty.
essex-mum18

Re: Problems with revision

Post by essex-mum18 »

[quote="moose"]Hello,
My son is Y7 in QE Boys Grammar . I feel that he has a problem with revising for tests. Obviously this is sth new for him hence in his primary there was no homework whatsoever.

Hi, Moose

My son is also in Y7 GS in Chelmsford. He had his end of year exam before the half term ( bad that there was not much time to revise, good that he can relax for his half term).

Similar to your son's situation, he was in a primary school which had not much experience in revising for tests/ exam apart from the SATS. This is quite challenging for him because he did not know how to start. Apart from getting some help with the revision for Maths, he had to get on with the other subjects himself especially language.

With Maths and the other subjects, I advised him to have a look on the note books/ paper with all the informations written at the school lessons first. For example, alkaline and acids in Science, he should look at the note book with the important headings/ info in that lesson, then use the text book or internet to write down the KEY POINTS ( not an essay) on a A4 paper. So that by writing the KEY Points, he can remember better, hopefully. Save all A4 papers for further revision near the actual exam date. Also, save them for future reference for Y8,9.....

PLUS a lot of encouragements+++.

I explained to him that there are so many things to remember for so many subjects, regular revision is essential (short breaks in between, rest if he is tired). I also use BBC bitesize test and my Maths website (school subscribed) if he told me that he 's happy with the revision and knew everything. To me , the most important part is to see how much he really understands from what has has learnt/ revised. I suppose it can be reflected in the exam to see how well he understands the subject .

This revision method seems to work for my son and I do appreciate some children may prefer some other methods for revision.

Good luck with the revision and exam for your DS .
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I think that this is a problem for lots of kids in year 7 and 8.I have girls but the same issues can arise.
If they are bright and have coasted through primary school achieving top grades with little effort, they think that will continue.Trouble is -it can for a quite a while.When Dd did yr 7 exams, part of me wanted her to not do so well because I knew she hadn't revised .
She has just done yr 8 exams and seems to have done v well again with little revision.(not all results in yet though)
My worry is that she won't notice the point at which she needs to put some work in :(
It is a worry :cry:
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

[quote="Chelmsford mum"]
If they are bright and have coasted through primary school achieving top grades with little effort, they think that will continue.Trouble is -it can for a quite a while.

My boy feels that way too. However, I think it is very important to have a good habit to do small regular revision at early stage so that they will have more confidence and know how when they are at GCSE/ A level when more studying is required.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Moose ,
I loved your comment about Call of Duty!
My DS has internal exams when they go back next week and is exactly the same as yours!
He's also in Y7.He did brilliantly in the New Year exams, getting all A's, but studied and revised a lot for these exams as my DH was at home for Christmas break and was really strict.
However he won't listen to me and it's always "after this level" (PS3 ) !!
I am concerned that he won't do as well this time but don't want to keep nagging ineffectually.
I think previous posters comments that if they don't do as well this time it will be a wake up call are true but at the same time don't want to see his results go down.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Oh yes I absolutely agree Essex Mum!

Trouble is that it is harder for them to see the need fo revision, if they can get by without it, at this stage.
The only reason DD did any at all is that I said I would test her and she better have done some :twisted: (scary mum)
I then devised questions way harder than I knew she would actually get to slightly worry her into a little revision.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now