Quite Quite Distrubing Really!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Quite Quite Distrubing Really!!

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, a lot of you will know we had the 'phone call we'd been so desperately waiting for last week, offering DD a place at grammar school.

We were advised the LEA would write to us to confirm and that the school would write to us next week - this week being half term of course.

I 'phoned the LEA next morning to confirm our conversation and I was struck by the response of the admissions team, of yes and that's number ** of ****** Street. No said I, it's number *** of ******. Oh that's right she said, it's just the way the house number's printed it off, it's not quite showing properly. Anyway, she confirmed our telephone conversation of the previous day and everything was OK.

We have been waiting all week for this precious letter 1) so that we have the hard evidence so to speak and 2) so we can write to the indie to cancel DD's place for September (and let someone else have that place).

I finally got fed up of waiting this morning, realising time would be of the essence as I presumed (yes, THAT word) we had to formally accept the offer.

First thing I got asked was: is that number ** of ****** Street, no says I it's number *** of ****** Street. My apologies says the voice at the other end of the 'phone, just a moment. Next thing: 'Well, it should have reached you, I'll just email it across, but don't worry you don't need to formerly accept the place, it's secure. Thank you says I and waited all afternoon for the email.

No email arrived :cry: OH came in at 6.30 pm so I sent him to number ** and lo and behold it had been there since TUESDAY!!!! We retrieved our letter (they had been trying to catch the postman to give it back :shock: ) and are now in proud possession of it.

What worries me is what else they MIGHT have sent to this wrong address (the address was totally complete except for one missing digit) and we may never have known about it!

Just makes me wonder how they managed to send all our letters out and appeal stuff out before and then suddenly do something daft like this.

I will now ring DD's new school early next week to make sure the right address has been passed on.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Oh Snowdrops... doesn't help does it :cry:

As I said before, like you I chased up every last detail of the acceptance process because after all that disappointment and worry, I didn't want anything going wrong.
However the man on the phone said to me that if they hadn't had a reply(lost in post etc), they would have rung me because it would have been "unusual".I hope this would have happened for you too.

I got some more induction info this week from the school and I still can't quite believe it. :)
Soon all your paperwork will be done and you can enjoy your happy outcome.It means so much more to go and buy the uniform when you have had to live with other possibilites.
Still happy happy for you :)
CM
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Nothing seems to be made easy with this 11+ malarky! I wonder if its a test to see if you really want the place! :roll:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Tipsy :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chelsford Mum - it just shows you can't be too careful though doesn't it? I have to admit I have checked up VERY carefully every step of the process - even when I've been in and handed letters/appeal papers over in person I have asked for signed receipts. I've 'phoned the appeals' clerk to check things out as well as the LEA and yet STILL this happened!!

........................................................ hmmmm, perhaps they were just fed up of me :cry: :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have to admit I have checked up VERY carefully every step of the process - even when I've been in and handed letters/appeal papers over in person I have asked for signed receipts. I've 'phoned the appeals' clerk to check things out as well as the LEA and yet STILL this happened!!
Take note everyone - this is how to win an appeal! Grind them down! 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Well, we did submit 20 pieces of evidence - I like to think we scared them off :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Snowdrops wrote:Well, we did submit 20 pieces of evidence - I like to think we scared them off :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only 20? :shock: :oops:
:)
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now