Appeal using insufficient time allocation

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hetty wainthrop

Appeal using insufficient time allocation

Post by hetty wainthrop »

Can anyone tell me if we have good grounds for appeal- following an ed psych review, my daughter should have been allocated extra time in the entrance test but due to an admin error (the ed psych recommendation was emailed to the test administrators, as due to illness, the ed psych did not complete the full written report in time for the test date.) As a result my daughter was denied the extra time, as the test adminstrators insisted that they needed the whole full report and not an interim recommendation. As a result my daughter panicked and missed the pass mark by one point!! My daughter now receives an extra 25% time allocation in all tests.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is not the school's fault - they needed the full report to make allowances.

You can send the full report in the appeal and, being so close, it may help. You should also submit evidence of her ability as well.
hetty wainthrop

Post by hetty wainthrop »

Thanks for the advice. My main concern is that whilst my daughter is predicted level 5's in English and Science, due to dyscalculia she is only predicted a level 3 in Maths. I'm worried that this will obviously go against her in appeal, but my main argument is that had she been allocated the extra time, she would have scored the extra point needed to gain a place at grammar school, and no-one would have been any the wiser! Is is 'safe' to use this as grounds for appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear hetty w.

No easy answer, I'm afraid. It depends on your panel.

Your argument seems a valid one to me.

The panel, of course, is entitled to take into account any other evidence it sees.

There's usually an expectation of three level 5s, but a reasonable panel would make an allowance for dyscalculia, especially if all the other evidence is persuasive.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now