KEHS not KES

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rachag

KEHS not KES

Post by rachag »

New to this. Looking to exam Jan 2010 for KEHS only and not any other KE foundation school. Bit confused re: entrance exams. Should I follow advice for all, KES and general 11+ or should I look and any specific areas? Happy to put time in myself at papers - got all of Bond!! I think that with time constraints and knowing my DD better than others this seems feasible. FM says that many parents could do it themselves. Happy to hear any thoughts.
fm

Post by fm »

Well, you wouldn't waste time on non-verbal which is not in KEHS, but you would practise conventional comprehension (one that requires written answers) which is not in KEGS exam. You would also practise verbal reasoning which is not in KEGS exam but possibly not NFER style as KEHS VR is a much more mixed bag. You would also want to practise essay writing which you wouldn't bother for other KE's.

So basically no, not too many areas in common.

For maths you'd probably work through the usual suspects but then possibly google some good independent schools (e.g. Dulwich, Habs etc.) for some of their past papers for practice.

Bear in mind, also, that is probably harder to get into KEHS than KES-- less competition possibly but also a lot less girl places available.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

fm wrote: Bear in mind, also, that is probably harder to get into KEHS than KES-- less competition possibly but also a lot less girl places available.
I think not - there are some rather dim girls who manage to get into KEHS, but all the KES boys I have come across are very bright. KEHS get better ranking in the league tables by allowing the girls to do as many GCSEs and A levels as they want, whereas the boys are restricted to 10 of the former and usually 3 of the latter.
fm

Post by fm »

You may be right. I am just basing my opinion on who gains entry from the outset as opposed to who may have to wait on a list, and I have had some reasonably clever girls miss out (despite attaining a KE grammar place) whereas I have had several so-so boys gain a place at KES but miss out on a free grammar place by quite a margin.
That said, all but one of my clever girls chose a free grammar school place over KEHS so who ends up actually attending (as opposed to passing) may be quite different.
Statistically, however, with 130+ boy places and only 77 girl places you would expect a better selection at the girls' school.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I suppose there could be lots of factors involved. There is no doubt it is much easier for a girl to get a free KE grammar place than it is for a boy due to the much lower cut off marks at the girls' schools, so it is more likely that a reasonably clever boy might fail to get a grammar place but still get into KES. I suppose you are likely to meet the less able applicants anyway, fm, as parents are unlikely to pay for tutoring if they are confident from the child's previous record that they will secure a place on their own unaided merits rather than via your merits as a tutor.
fm

Post by fm »

Actually, I tutor some very able children. Three out of six of my previous year candidates for KEHS won small scholarships, and one won a full bursary, although only the bursary winner actually went to the school.

The more able the child, the more anxious parents often are to ensure a GS place because it is patently obvious their very clever children will thrive best in such an environment. Most of these clever children, however, are at state primaries and are not operating at the level or speed required for an 11+ plus test; my job is to absolutely guarantee they win the place they deserve.

In fact, the sheer ability range of my pupils is, I believe, a reflection of the broad ability range who actually attend both the KE grammar schools and KES/KEHS. Just as failing to gain entry doesn't suddenly make your child stupid, passing doesn't suddenly make them a genius either.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

I totally agree with fm :!: Some very able children miss out on GS opportunites merely because the state primary school they attend fail to push the more able students to thrive to their maximum potential. The same problem is then later repeated at GCSE level. I send my DS to two different tuition institutions to maximise his chance of winning a place at a KE GS, and not because I don't think he is capable of passing. Different tutors will have a different approach. The more able student will more often than not thrive better in a more accademically challenging environment.

FTM
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

fm wrote:Actually, I tutor some very able children. Three out of six of my previous year candidates for KEHS won small scholarships, and one won a full bursary, although only the bursary winner actually went to the school.

The more able the child, the more anxious parents often are to ensure a GS place because it is patently obvious their very clever children will thrive best in such an environment. Most of these clever children, however, are at state primaries and are not operating at the level or speed required for an 11+ plus test; my job is to absolutely guarantee they win the place they deserve.
Do you think then that these children from state primaries wouldn't have got their scholarships, or possibly even a place, at KES/KEHS without your input? I may be very naive, and I admit I was unfamiliar with Birmingham schools when my DS was applying, but I am surprised that the KE schools apparently make it so easy for parents to effectively "buy" scholarships and places. Without a network of friends/relatives already in the area to point you in the right direction, it is quite difficult to negotiate the system. I'm not blaming you at all, you are clearly just responding to a local demand, but I think the schools could mention this to parents enquiring about a place for their child, just in order to level the playing field. It would surely be in their interests too in their stated quest to get the brightest children.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Thanks for all views. Notes taken. Bear in mind that not all necessarily rosy in private sector. If in school that has senior school, are they that interested in pupils going elsewhere at 11 or 13? If they prepare for 13+ and CEE in years 7 and 8, then prob not that much help if you want to move at end of year 6.

Also if not in Birmingham, those in private sector may be in the dark too as far as KEGS KES and KEHS go!
fm

Post by fm »

Actually, I don't feel I did have that much to do with 2 out of 3 of my girls getting scholarships because I did not target KEHS at all and did not see these children after November and the KEGS exam. Their proficient maths and basic verbal reasoning skills were possibly down to me but I am fairly certain both won scholarships on the back of some very good story writing (which I didn't do at all) and advanced reading skills which owed more to their natural inclination and ability than anything I or indeed our local primary did.

I don't actually think scholarships can be bought in the sense that no amount of tutoring/private education will enable a merely bright child to excel sufficiently when competing with the very bright.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now