School fees

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

School fees

Post by Ed's mum »

Anyone else out there dreading the letter that tells us what the fees for the next academic year will be?

The Bursar et al are meeting in the next few days, so we are expecting notification of their contribution (our bursary), if any, some time next week. I'm feeling sick with worry...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Ed's mum

Glad to say I don't have to worry about those letters these days but it always struck me that they were sent out far too late for people to do anything about the situation. If you decided it was all too much and that you were going to move elsewehere then you were effectively committed to paying a terms fees at the higher rate!!!

Hopefully you will get some good news from the bursar, would be good if they committed themselves for a bit longer than one year

Fingers crossed
Herman
x
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thankfully we found out at the start of last term and the fees were frozen for day and only raised by 2% for boarders.

The term I find the hardest to find fees for is January - anyone the same? It's not because we spend lots on Christmas - we don't - but that seems to be the one that we're always paniking about! :(
zorro

Post by zorro »

We too were fortunate( :?: ) in that DS's fees have gone up by 2%.
I agree about Jan fees , it seems to sneak up on you plus there always seem to be more 'extras' on it!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

January probably bad as in september there has been a nice long gap since april ...... and in april - well it's nearly the summer and there won't be any to pay until september. January is just stuck in the middle!!
Are many people paying monthly at the mo, usually an option but tends to have the "extra" fee charged for the privilege!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think a monthly fee should be scrapped and I would encourage a parent to write to the school to petition for this to be the case, especially in this climate. Some schools offer a saving 2-5% if you pay the whole yearly fee in advance but we worked out (not that we could have afforded to anyway) but I worked out it would be better to put the money in a savings account (pre the interest rates dropping).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I think a monthly fee should be scrapped and I would encourage a parent to write to the school to petition for this to be the case, especially in this climate. Some schools offer a saving 2-5% if you pay the whole yearly fee in advance but we worked out (not that we could have afforded to anyway) but I worked out it would be better to put the money in a savings account (pre the interest rates dropping).
Why would you want a monthly fee scrapped? - I think it helps some people with budgetting and spreads the cost through the year instead. If you could have got 5% discount in recent years it would have been well worth taking - very few savings accounts gave 5% after tax.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Herman I think the fee attached to a monthly payment should be scrapped not paying monthly. I can guarantee you that pre interest rate drops you could do much better than 5%.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Herman I think the fee attached to a monthly payment should be scrapped not paying monthly. I can guarantee you that pre interest rate drops you could do much better than 5%.
sorry misunderstood - I agree it is the fee that shouldn't exist!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That's ok my post are often unintentionally ambiguous! :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now